Eastofoz's Reviews > Delicious

Delicious by Sherry Thomas

Jul 27, 2010

bookshelves: historical-regency, 2010
Recommended for: Sherry Thomas fans

Sherry Thomas’ second book may not be the strongest in the romance department but the writing itself is still very good. This different take on the Cinderella story is not really believable (big stretches needed here) and the characters are missing that passionate connection that she had in her first book, however it still has you reading to the end to see how it all pans out.

Basically the story is about a woman named Verity Durant who’s leading a double life as a French chef for an aristocrat who she has an affair with in the hopes of bettering her lot her in life but it goes sour. She’s quite renowned for her cooking and her employer loves her primarily for that. He unexpectedly kicks the bucket and everything goes to his step-brother Stuart who’s a rising political star. Turns out that Stuart knows Verity from a long time ago and he slowly discovers who she really is. The story gets going with the two of them exchanging terse notes (he doesn’t know who she is during this) that are way too funny in a biting kind of way (too bad there wasn’t more of this verbal sparring), spying on each other and meeting secretly in the dark as per Verity’s demands because she doesn’t want him to know who she is.

The mystery of who Verity Durant is teases you right to the end and the author builds that up very well. The secondary characters around her also heighten the unraveling of her story. Everything about these people is key to understanding her secret. Her relationship with Stuart though is somewhat stale, that spark is missing when they finally come together. Even when they were together the first time it just didn’t really work but I’m not a fan of the “love at first sight” theme. I prefer the build-up so this could work for some readers.

There’s a smokin’ hot voyeurism scene but unfortunately Thomas skimps on the actual sex scenes between the h/h themselves which was too bad. Verity is shown as a woman trying desperately to make a life for herself in spite of her circumstances and she’s been quite successful. Stuart however was missing something, maybe he needed some more backbone. He was too career-minded and cast her aside one time too many.

The food descriptions are mouth watering especially if you’re familiar with some of the things she cooks. Thomas’ mastery of culinary language from the detailed utensils to the cooking terminology was impressive and it never felt like the story was bogged down in boring filler detail either. Her use of French was also well-done and for once there weren't any mistakes.

There are virtually no parlor room scenes but more of a dry/gray “industrial age” feel to the novel. Sometimes it almost felt like a Robin Schone vibe.

I didn’t particularly like the ending –too easy and typical romance fare which makes me waver between a 3.5-4 star rating. Having read her first and fourth book I was expecting the originality to continue to the last page. I was more interested in the mystery by the end than the love story. So it’s a fairly good book with that “expect the unexpected” tone but there are parts where the love story could have been better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delicious.

July 27, 2010 – Shelved
July 27, 2010 – Shelved as: historical-regency
August 26, 2010 – Started Reading
August 26, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
Finished Reading
August 29, 2010 –
page 200
49.5% "The description of the food is exceptionally well-done. The mystery is good too."
August 30, 2010 –
page 404
100.0% "Another good one :)"

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review East! I need to get a copy of ST's book...oddly enough I keep coming across the name Verity of late..hmmm

message 2: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Another book with Verity? LOL, where IS she??

Eastofoz Thanks Rane :) Verity is seriously overused in historicals 8-)

message 4: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn LOL Your reviews always make me laugh, East. :-)