Tracey the Lizard Queen's Reviews > Sharps

Sharps by K.J. Parker

12009673

bookshelves: fantasy, 2015-reads

I liked this book. It's one of those rare breed fantasies without any actual magic in them. Just another world with different countries and peoples. It's not a bad thing though, I didn't miss the magical element. The characters were more than enough to keep me interested. A map would have been nice though, just to help visualise the countryside better. And I like maps.

The basic plot runs a bit like this: There was a war between two nieghbouring countries, Scheria and Permia, it ended a few years before, but naturally things are tense. So a team of Scherian fencers is sent into Permia on a diplomatic mission/fencing exhibition. Things don't quite go to plan. It doesn't come as a surprise as you learn more about the members of the fencing team. A coward, a woman trying to get out of an arranged marriage, a former soldier with a severe case of PTSD and the youngest son of the general who won them the war. Disaster waiting to happen. An enjoyable read with interesting characters, plenty of politics, assassinations, impending war. What more could you want?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharps.

December 23, 2014 – Shelved