Gemma Roberts's Reviews > The Silver Linings Playbook

20030770

bookshelves: favourites

{5* 289 pages}

This book!

I had seen the film of this story a while ago and where I normally try to avoid the movie before I've read the novel, in this case, I feel it helped my experience of reading, rather than hindering it in any way. I thought the film was cast really, really well, and this was confirmed for by two or three chapters in. The actors had clearly read and re-read this short but perfectly sweet book and found a huge resonance with these cleverly rounded characters and brought this to life on the screen. For me, having those actors voices and mannerisms in my head just helped bring this story to a whole new level and allowed me to become fully absorbed. I had a ball!

This story, despite tackling such a complex and misunderstood subject, mental illness being something not even trained professionals can really get a grip of, was joyful and endearing and incredibly tender. The raw emotions and sheer transparency of the character's suffering gave such vulnerability to the book, whilst giving a fascinating view of such situations and told with hilarity and wit.

This book really makes you look at the delicacy of our own reality and how it hangs by a single thread, that can all too easily tangle, knot or snap completely, leaving up cut off and adrift from our previously 'normal' existence. Life is confusing at the best of times and this book shines a light on how having to face harsh truths and find ways to deal with things such as change, can allow you to gradually build yourself back up piece by piece.

I highly recommend this beautiful story, it is honest and funny and will captivate you till the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Linings Playbook.

December 23, 2014 – Shelved