Guillaume Belanger's Reviews > The Vitamin D Cure

The Vitamin D Cure by James E. Dowd

it was ok
Recommended for: Nobody

Some good info about vitamin D; very outdated and squarely wrong on many essential issues

First the pros: I learnt a few things about vitamin D, its roles and functions in human biochemistry. For example, that it is the nucleus of cells that has receptors to vitamin D, not the cell membranes, as is the case for virtually all other vitamins and minerals, because its primary role in our biochemistry is to turn on or off gene expression, and that vitamin D or cholecalciferol currently known to affect more than 1000 different genes (and I'm sure this number will only grow with time as this scientific exploration progresses. Hence, vitamin D, when activated, acts like a very special hormone that defines what genes are expressed and which are not. This is tremendously important. The author has also (at least) clued into the fact that the base of the optimal diet for humans is one that is based on lots of fresh vegetables and a little animal protein from clean meat and fish, and this is what he recommends to his patients and readers alike. Naturally, by eliminating all refined sugars, processed foods, grains and dairy products, while eating primarily fresh veggies, nuts and seeds, and some animal protein we are already doing very well, and this is the most significant dietary change anyone can do.

Now the cons: Dowd advocates a no-salt diet, which, as we well know, is really bad given that salt water is what we are basically made of (he doesn't even mention the distinction between refined and unrefined salt, which he obviously has no idea about). He also believes saturated fats are bad and in fact advocates what amounts to a low-fat diet, refers to HDL and LDL as good and bad cholesterol which is beyond absurd, and even recommends using Canola oil, for crying out loud! His recommendations for the quantity of vitamin D and other supplements are ridiculously small and I am truly surprised that some of the patients he has treated actually showed such great improvements taking such small doses of vitamins, but I suppose the more deficient we are, the more positive is the effect of even the slightest intake of essential nutrients from food and supplements. In addition, he even talks about vitamin D toxicity at very modest doses, apparently completely ignorant of the fact that such symptoms of what has been termed "vitamin D toxicity" only arise from a deficiency in vitamin K2, which is needed in tandem with vitamin D.

I read it to the end, but definitely do not recommend this book. And obviously, faulty understanding and misguided recommendations casts a pretty dark shadow on everything else that is presented. Nonetheless, it is good to read about a clinician's experience and successes with the natural treatment of various conditions manifested in their patients. These empirical observations are not debatable as are opinions because they are actually seen and often measured. This, I find, is quite useful to deepen understanding of physiology and natural healing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vitamin D Cure.

December 22, 2014 – Started Reading