Robert's Reviews > Confessor

Confessor by Terry Goodkind

M 50x66
Jan 01, 2008

did not like it

So if there was ever any doubt in my mind that Goodkind was using this series as a thin veneer for preaching his personal philosophies on morality and faith vs reason it was instantly expelled on reading this book. I stuck with this series the whole way through and the last few books in particular made me feel betrayed. This series could have been so much more in the hands of an author that could get over his own ideals long enough to write an actual plot there towards the end. Even the ending of the book and the series just seemed like another way to have his characters beat the same freaking ideas into the heads of his readers... again.

It's one thing for an author to slip his beliefs and ideas into the moral fiber of his characters and introduce it as an element in a story. That's fine, but when entire books in a series are basically dedicated to the characters rambling on and on and on about that moral structure which has been well defined repeatedly it rips you out of the world you're supposed to be experiencing and leaves you wanting to stick your head in a blender. It's not even that I disagree with his philosophies, I actually kind of agree in some ways, I'm just tired of freaking hearing it. I'm so disgusted after the ending of this book that all of the good scenes have faded away and all I can think of now is "Hello God. Please send Jordan back from the dead. I'll trade you Goodkind for him. P.S. I would like to apologize to all of the trees killed to manufacture the last few books in The Sword of Truth series. Thanks."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessor.

Started Reading
November 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
January 1, 2008 – Shelved

Sara Register Yes! The last few books were just not up to par with the first few. I think Goodkind would have done well to cut the series down to 4 or 5 books instead of however many he ended up with. And I also agree with you that he was totally preachy. I mean, just look at the picture he always puts on his jacket sleeve. That man has been chomping at the bit to preach to us all.

message 2: by Love (new)

Love And Is too preachy a bad thing? I determine that by what he's preaching, not just that he is.

Natasha Amen, the last books were really preachy and you kind of lost the story. I felt like the ending was more about preaching his views then about the characters. I was expecting this great reunion between the main characters and more detail in their new lives instead I got blah, blah, blah, blah. And whether you agree with him or not that's annoying. He could have gotten his message across without being preachy and losing the characters.

Emily wow, I disagree, especially the Jordan comment. Seriously. At least Goodkind moved the characters (the five to seven main ones) forward into something new.

Jordan averages 400 characters a book, oh and they do nothing.

Mike (the Paladin) I'm somewhat conservative..(but a Christian which Goodkind would apparently hate) I read his views in these (espically the last) books and agree...I mean it's okay to express your views on life and truth, most writers do...but not like this. I mean look up heavy handed and you find a picture of these books, shut up already. I was glad he finally delivered the Coup de grâce to this poor suffering series and put it out of it's misery

Mike (the Paladin) It wasn't as much agree or disagree for me as much as the way that the ideology more and more overwhelmed any plot as the series went on.