Bruce Gargoyle's Reviews > 999 Frogs and a Little Brother

999 Frogs and a Little Brother by Ken Kimura

I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A tadpole makes friends with a baby crayfish when his 998 siblings go off and have fun without him.

I was drawn to this book initially because I like books with large numbers in the title. Unfortunately, the large number doesn't have much to do with the story, but other than that, this is a charming little offering.

Essentially, after the littlest frog makes friends with the baby crayfish, he gets himself into trouble and with the help of baby crayfish, mummy crayfish and a ravenous snake, he discovers that his 998 siblings really do care for him after all.

The illustrations are simple and visually very appealing, but I'm not so sure about the text. It seems a bit too long to keep the real littlies interested, but not interesting enough for the slightly older kids. I could be wrong, but that's the sense I got reading it.

Overall this is a cute tale of family ties and the family you create for yourself. And a cautionary tale about snakes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 999 Frogs and a Little Brother.

December 21, 2014 – Shelved