Lisa's Reviews > Scenes from the City

Scenes from the City by Penny Reid

bookshelves: angsty-romance, read-in-2017, series

4 “Knitting” “Neanderthal” “Freaking Nico!” “I love your crazy.” “Ash” “Ninja” Kisses

Hi. My name is Lisa…and I’m addicting to the Knitting in the City Series by Penny Reid. I feel like this is a safe space to discuss my addiction…but the thing is, I have no desire to take any steps towards my recovery. I have embraced my addiction with both arms wide open and my main goal now is to keep the fix going…forever. This series is beyond amazing…it makes me reevaluate all the previous times I “thought” I was addicted because this is true addiction. And I love it.

“Our marriage has nothing to do with the fact that he’s the best person I know and the most amazing man on the face of the earth. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I love him more than I love Star Trek and need him more than oxygen. Furthermore, marrying Nico had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I can’t imagine living a single day without hearing his voice and his laugh and touching him and-”

So, Scenes from the City is a little different…it’s a collection of short stories about characters that we already know (and love!) and with the exception of Ninja at First Sight, Fiona and Greg’s book, none of these short stories can be read without reading the other books in the series. Each one would make absolutely no sense – they would be enjoyable and entertaining but one cannot truly know their value without first reading the other books in the series. The reading order for the series is…
1. Neanderthal Seeks Human & Neanderthal Marries Human - Janie and Quinn’s Books
2. Friends Without Benefits - Elizabeth & Nico’s Book
3. Love Hacked - Sandra & Alex’s Book
4. Beauty & the Mustache - Ashley & Drew’s Book

The last “short story” – which is more of a mini-novella, is Fiona & Greg and OMG I cannot even right now!!! Their book is the next full-length novel in the series and after what I just read, I’m d-y-i-n-g!

‘Alex smiled at me. I smiled at him.
As he stood next to me, shoulder to shoulder, I shook my head, feeling a surge of wonder and love and gratitude that we’d found each other, because—really—who else in the world was this weird? Who else was ever going to get me and think I was awesome instead of disturbed?’

So, I have a self-proclaimed love/hate relationship with novellas and short stories…I love them because it’s more of the couples I love and I always want more…without exception, I’ll take whatever I can get. Based on that fact alone, the news of getting them in whatever format (short story/novella/teaser/novel/etc.) will always and forever bring joy and happiness into my heart. But…then I hate them because it’s never enough (I refer back to the point that I will always want more! Especially from this series!). It’s a curse…I’m a needy bookworm and I cannot help it. Here’s the kicker…I think Penny is the exception to all of my rules because after reading the short stories…I didn’t have that sad/frustrating/let down feeling I usually get. It was rather strange – the stories were perfect little tastes…they seriously brought nothing but a smile to my face and I absolutely adored reading something that made me happy.

‘“Drew,” I said, my voice watery. “I’ve missed you. I’ve missed you so much. I need you.”
His mouth hitched to the side, his gaze softening. “There you are, Sugar…” His voice held traces of satisfaction and relief, as though he were finally seeing me, as though I’d just arrived.
He kissed the side of my mouth and whispered, “I’ve missed you, too.”
“I love you,” I said though my chin wobbled, because I did love him. I understood what he meant when he’d said it earlier and why he’d said it three times.
He loved me, he was loving me now, and he would love me in the future.’

The stories (Neanderthal Seeks Honeymoon, Friends Definitely With Benefits, Hacking the Hacker and Beauty and the Beard) were super short – basically the length of a chapter, and Penny does a great job of explaining how they fit into the timelines of the books. They make up about 50% of the overall length of the total compilation in Scenes from the City and I promise you, at no point did I stop smiling. When I say I love these characters it is with an unending passion that I only see growing the more I continue to read this series. They’re all so amazing in their own unique ways…and I adored every single moment. Whether it was Janie spewing facts about frogs, Quinn calling her Kitten, Nico speaking Italian and Elizabeth swooning over it, Sandra being crazy and Alex loving her crazy, or reading Drew’s amazing letters to Ashley…it was like effortlessly being sucked back into their books when I originally fell in love with these couples and that was everything I needed.

“If a husband were at the whim of his wife, it would be called emasculating. But when it’s the reverse, it’s acceptable?”
“That’s not true.”
“Which part?”
“You don’t like the idea of being owned? Of wholly belonging to someone?” he asked softly, his eyes warming and dipping to my neck before drifting to my lips.
“Other than to myself? No. I don’t like the idea of being a possession. Do you?”
“Yes,” he nodded slowly, his eyes no longer cautious. “Yes, I do quite like the idea of mutual ownership.”

Now…the last 50-ish% of Scenes from the City was all about Fiona and Greg…and let me just tell you…I was super excited just knowing it was coming but the actual delivery of Fiona and Greg seriously blew my mind into another dimension. E-P-I-C-A-L-L-Y awesome! Like oh my freaking GAWD I need to read them right now, this very second, I’m trying to get this review typed up as fast as possible so I can drop everything and read Ninja at First Sight - which is an expanded version of what was in Scenes from the City. I should have known they would blow me away just as much as the other couples have but for some reason, I’m happily surprised every time. Now excuse me…I have to go see a book about a ninja :-) #ILoveKnitters #KnittersRule #GiveMeMoreNinja

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scenes from the City.

December 21, 2014 – Shelved