Scarlett Sims's Reviews > The Bone Season

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

Dec 20, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: alternate-history, dystopia, fantasy, future, nook, ya

This might be more of a 3.5; it was pretty good but I didn't absolutely LOVE it.

I had heard a lot of hype about this book the year it came out, like it would be the next big series or whatever, and I don't think it lives up to that, but it was a pretty entertaining read. The basic idea is that it's an alternate universe (or alternate history) where people with psychic powers exist and of course society doesn't like/trust them, and of course our protagonist is a girl who is special. Tropes Are Not Bad, so that isn't a complaint, just callin' like it is.

The reader on the audio was really good, she did several different accents of the British Isles, which I liked. There was also a character (Jaxon) who I couldn't help but picture as Mark Shepard. I assume they'll make a movie of this, so they should get him for that role.

If you're into this type of book (YA dystopia) this is a cool addition to the genre, and since it doesn't take place in America the setting and details are a bit different from some of the other big series out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Season.

Started Reading