Erin H. (ITIO Book Reviews)'s Reviews > Like a Flower in Bloom

Like a Flower in Bloom by Siri Mitchell

liked it

Actual rating: 2.5

A huge thanks to Bethany House Publishers and Siri Mitchell for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

I have a secret penchant for books about botany-loving protagonists. Now that I’ve told you, it’s not much of a secret anymore. It’s all good. I’ve never read one of Mitchell’s novels, but I wasn’t impressed with this one.

Sheltered, intelligent Charlotte Withersby assists her father in picking and classifying different plants for his work. Since the passing of her mother, she has spent an exorbitant amount of time writing correspondences for him, illustrating plants for him, cleaning up the house for him, etc. Everything she has done has been for him. When her uncle declares that she needs to start looking for a husband, her father agrees, much to her chagrin. At the same time, her father hires a new assistant, the young and handsome Mr. Trimble. Charlotte can’t help but hate the man that has stolen her life’s work. She devises a plan to pretend to be interested in finding a husband in order to steal her job back, but everything doesn’t go as she’d originally planned.

MORAL RATING:

G: Excessive descriptions of plants and one kiss…your elderly grandma could read this and you wouldn’t be embarrassed! Yay!

THE GOOD:

I tried to keep an open mind about this book while I was reading it. Like I mentioned earlier, I love books about botany-loving protagonists. Plants are so interesting! I believe that this plot held great promise, but it fell short for me. The writing was decent and the cover is beautiful, but the characters didn’t grab my interest like I would’ve liked.

I liked the ending of the novel, but I don’t think it was altogether worth reading just to read the last thirty pages.

THE BAD:

My first complaint lies in the pacing of this novel. I can always appreciate a well-researched historical romance, but this novel was filled with too much botanical, scientific information. It was clear to me that Siri Mitchell didn’t have a great grasp on the scientific world of Charlotte Withersby. There was almost an overload of information. As a result, this novel moved at an alarmingly sluggish pace. It took about 200 pages for me to somewhat interested in the plot and that is never a good sign! If I hadn’t been given a copy of this novel, I wouldn’t have finished it. Even so, I skimmed quite a bit.

While I could understand that Charlotte Withersby was a scientific kind of woman–not known for her knowledge of customs or manners–I couldn’t understand her stupidity in social situations. She had absolutely no understanding of how to relate to other people. It’s not like she’s been stuck inside her house her whole life! I found myself annoyed with her throughout this novel.

The romance in this book was not well-founded and seemed completely unnecessary. Romance was one of the main plot points, but there wasn’t much development in Charlotte and Mr. Trimble’s relationship throughout the novel. I didn’t care about them and that made me sad.

MY VERDICT:

Overall, I’d give this novel a 2.5/5! It was well-written, but the characters aggravated me at times and the plot moved too slow for my enjoyment. I may pick up one of Mitchell’s other books another time, but I wasn’t impressed by this one.

For more reviews, check out: ITIO Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like a Flower in Bloom.

Finished Reading
December 20, 2014 – Shelved
December 20, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I hope you have picked up more of Mitchell's books, or if you haven't, that you will. I, too, was not very impressed with this one (I've read it twice), but her other books are AMAZING. Start with The Cubicle Next Door. Also Moon Over Tokyo and The Messenger.

Erin H. (ITIO Book Reviews) Thanks for the recommendations, Amy! I'll be sure to check out those other titles :)