Donna's Reviews > The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be Me

The Council of Dads by Bruce Feiler

Jul 26, 2010

bookshelves: 2008-2010, books-i-own

The Council of Dads was recommended by my father, so how could I not read it, although I generally avoid books about death and illness? My father assured me that this book is not about cancer or dying, and, as always, he was right.

Bruce Feiler’s very thought-provoking work is certainly more about life, particularly the value of friendship and family, and the challenges of parenting. What parent has not thought about how to fill the hole that their death would leave in their children’s lives, how to insure that their children would always remember them, know that they were loved, and lean on them, even in their physical absence? Facing a diagnosis of life-threatening cancer, Feiler finds comfort for his fears for his young daughters, by selecting a “Council of Dads” from among his friends and mentors, a group of men who would represent him and support his daughters whether he survives or not.

With optimism, but also practicality, Feiler explains the reasons for his nominations to the “Council” as he chronicles the year of treatment and recovery that follows his diagnosis. His very personal message to his friends and daughters has much to offer to any reader. This is a perspective-altering narrative that will likely induce a few tears, but remains uplifting and positive throughout. It’s a book that begs to be discussed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Council of Dads.