Kritika's Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Dec 19, 2014

bookshelves: borrowed, fantasy, favorite-author
Read 2 times. Last read December 19, 2014 to December 21, 2014.

When I read the Mistborn trilogy, I fell in love with the cosmere and Sanderson's books. I was delighted to find out that there were even more Mistborn books set in time periods after the original trilogy. How brilliant is that? A world that evolves its magic and technology together; where characters we once knew and loved are now legends and gods of eras past.

The Alloy of Law is a sort of turn-of-the-century take on Mistborn. Scadrial now has streetlights, rail cars, and pistols. And along with pistols and railcars come good old fashioned rogues and shootouts. This book is immensely entertaining, especially thanks to the hilarious duo of Wax and Wayne (no pun intended? Knowing Sanderson, I doubt it...). Waxillium is a nobleman who wants nothing more than to get his hands dirty and actually defend the city instead of enjoying pointless parties with the rest of the nobility. He's a bit of an oddball in all circles, but no one can deny his sizeable inheritance. Wayne is more of a...free spirit. He is a charmer and loves a good joke, even when he's fighting for his life. A pretty young noblewoman, Marasi, also gets tangled up in their mess. She starts out as a pretty weak character but she grows so much and ends up being pretty badass by the end. I loved all of their friendly banter and camaraderie, and I can't get over how much Wayne loves his hat! It's a good hat, to be sure.

This book is part mystery, part fantasy, and part Western, and it's really hard to put down. I don't think I even need to recommend it because I'm sure all the Mistborn fans are already on top of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.

Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
January 1, 2014 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
December 19, 2014 – Started Reading
December 19, 2014 – Shelved
December 19, 2014 – Shelved as: borrowed
December 19, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 19, 2014 – Shelved as: favorite-author
page 100
25.51% "I knew Marasi was cool! :)"
page 115
29.34% ""I'm too good a friend to let a mate of mine die in such a terrible situation. " "Comfortable?" "Boring." :)"
page 191
48.72% "That was unexpected o.O"
page 274
December 21, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 24, 2016 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
July 24, 2016 – Shelved as: want-to-own (Hardcover Edition)