Sharon's Reviews > Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

This is listed at "six holiday stories" but there are 11 in this Kindle edition.

The first story is the ever-popular Santaland Diaries, a non-fiction account of David's stint as a 33-year old Macy's Christmas elf. Even though I've read this before, it was nice to read it again.

The second story is a fictionalised mock family newsletter that deals with the wife's discovery that her husband has a 22 year old Vietnamese love child who decides to come and live with them. It's a brilliant satirical look at those twee newsletters that families send out at Christmas.

The third story Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol lost me completely - I just lost my place and didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

The fourth is possibly one of my favourite stories so far, Christmas is for Giving takes neighbour oneupmanship to the next level. While there were some gruesome parts that I felt were unecessary, I'm used to Sedaris crossing the line and I did laugh at the tales of the neighbours tyring to outdo each other.

The rest of the stories included some we've seen before - Let it Snow, a tale about Sedaris' mother kicking the kids out of the house when they're at home from school because of snow "Our presence had disrupted the secret life she led while we were at school"; Us and Them (my all-time favourite Sedaris anecdote involving his mother dying inside while trying to feign interest in boat trailers as Sedaris is shovelling "poison" chocolate into his mouth to prevent the neighbours getting it); 6-8 Black Men, a tale about Santa and Dutch traditions; Dinah the Christmas Whore, a story about why the words 'ho ho ho' have taken on new meaning for Sedaris, and finally Jesus Shaves, the story from Me Talk Pretty One Day about trying to explain holidays to a non-English speaker.

The other two stories included are Monster Mash, about Sedaris' experiences at a morgue and his subsequent obsession with death and the dead, and a holiday tale called The Cow and the Turkey about a Secret Santa in a farmyard that goes a bit wrong.

I'd normally give this 5 stars, but because I've read some of the stories before in other compilations, I'm docking one star. But it's still brilliant - where else would you get the phrase "Extensive mildew on the face of a recluse".

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays on Ice.

December 19, 2014 – Started Reading