Lauren Stoolfire's Reviews > Mystery of Merlin and the Gruesome Ghost

Mystery of Merlin and the Gruesome Ghost by Nate Evans

Dec 18, 2014

bookshelves: chapter-books, childrens, humor, noir

In this second and, unfortunately, final installment of Humpty Dumpty Jr.: Hardboiled Detective entitled The Mystery of Merlin and the Gruesome Ghost, Humpty's sidekick, Rat, has to go to school. He doesn't want to until he learns he may be King Arthur reborn and gets invited to study at Merlin's Institute for the Knowledge of Everything. Princess Lily, Rat's new friend, tells them that a magic eating ghost is haunting the school. Can the three friends banish this ghost and learn the truth about Rat?

Just like it's predecessor, I also picked up this cool little chapter-book from my local Goodwill store. I really enjoyed the addition of Arthurian legend to this fairy tale noir. Somehow, all of the elements come together in a fantastic way in this super fun, pun-filled tale.

This hilarious chapter-book comes with high praise from me! According to my copy, there should have been a third case (starring a ninja!) released in May 2009, but unfortunately it looks like it never happened. Regardless, I'm glad I got to know Humpty Dumpty Jr.!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery of Merlin and the Gruesome Ghost.

December 18, 2014 – Started Reading