Mel's Reviews > The End of Alice

The End of Alice by A.M. Homes

bookshelves: favourites, 1-books, lgbt, twisted-up-stuff, books-i-own, unexpected-brilliance, adult, crime, good-shit

Haunting, oftentimes disturbing, sometimes disgusting, and one of the best books I have ever read.
This book has come to be the book with the most profound impact on me. Not just because of the haunting disturbing content, but because the author managed to create a narrator's voice that felt as though he was a real person of flesh and bones speaking to you through the text on each page.
Reading the book I felt like I suddenly shrunk and was placed inside a small cage. And someone carried me around inside this cage, that someone being the narrator. And he took me into his world, showing me around every nook and cranny of every corner. And I, helpless and unable to escape this cage and tear myself away from this disturbing world, was trapped and unable to miss a single detail. Occasionally he would look at me through the bars of my cage and speak directly at me.
Reading this book was like looking into a whole new world, and it sucked me in from the first page onwards and would not let me rest until I kept reading that book. Though I loved this book very much, I would not recommend it for many. There is some really disturbing stuff in there, and if you are someone who is really squirmish about that stuff, don't go there. However if you're like me and are able to tolerate even the deepest level of the underbelly of the taboo then have a go at reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Alice.

July 26, 2010 – Started Reading
October 13, 2010 – Shelved as: unexpected-brilliance
March 22, 2011 – Shelved as: adult
March 22, 2011 – Shelved as: crime
May 9, 2012 – Shelved as: good-shit

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel HIGURASHI FTW!!!!

Nope, this is waaaaaaay more disturbing than Higurashi.

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel FTW means For The Win. =]

Reeeead it. I'm sure if you can stand Higurashi you have the tools to stand this. Although this does kind of make Higurashi look child friendly by comparison... I don't know. How squeamish are you about reading from the first person perspective of a pedophile?

message 3: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Passionate review, always a good thing.

message 4: by Jenbebookish (new)

Jenbebookish Great analogy.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Great review....I am also a little bit scared to say I loved this book!...,amazingly poetic is a sickening way....and very very brave!