Malia's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

bookshelves: best-of-2014, classic-lit
Read 2 times. Last read December 18, 2014 to December 23, 2014.

This is not a short book, and yet very little actually happens. There is a fair amount of fuss made about the mystery of this novel, and I was, on that front, rather disappointed. However, on a whole, it never felt boring to me. I think it is a credit to Du Maurier's writing ability that she was able to make a classic out of a rather sedate sort of tale. I won't go into plot details, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but the story follows the second wife of Maxim de Winter (curiously only ever named as Mrs. de Winter) as she becomes the new mistress of Manderley. She soon realizes all is not as it seems, and that the staff, Maxim and particularly the eerie housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers, have something they are trying to conceal about Rebecca, Maxim's first wife.

The style of writing really drew me in almost instantly, and though the mystery wasn't a huge shock to me, I didn't really mind, because the book, for me, was really about the characters and the setting of Manderley.

Definitely worthwhile!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

Quotes Malia Liked

Daphne du Maurier
“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.”
Daphne Du Maurier, Rebecca

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
February 16, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
December 18, 2014 – Started Reading
December 18, 2014 – Shelved
December 23, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 14, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2014
June 13, 2017 – Shelved as: classic-lit
June 14, 2017 – Shelved as: classic-lit (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Skye Frankly, this is one of my favorite novels; I believe it set a virtual trend in the genre of gothic/psychological suspense, and is wonderfully written. I adored this; Mrs. Danvers has become the archetype, and so many newer writers have attempted to reproduce their own version: I also believe this is as nearly remarkable as Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.

Malia Skye wrote: "Frankly, this is one of my favorite novels; I believe it set a virtual trend in the genre of gothic/psychological suspense, and is wonderfully written. I adored this; Mrs. Danvers has become the a..."

It is definitely a book that lingers with you quite a while after you've finished, I think, and I can see myself re-reading it in time.

Skye I have so many good memories about this book: for one, it was one of my mother's favorites; she re read it every two years, and she read Jane Eyre every year; I even recall the first sentence; ( I believe) 'Last night I dreamt of Manderly..."). Interestingly, the narrator and the second wife is NEVER named.

Bill Kupersmith Ror all its flaws, Rebecca is a true classic, without it neither gothic romance nor Cornish settings would be the same. After reading Rebecca, we find even Jane Eyre has become a different book.

Malia Bill wrote: "Ror all its flaws, Rebecca is a true classic, without it neither gothic romance nor Cornish settings would be the same. After reading Rebecca, we find even Jane Eyre has become a different book."

It's such a deeply memorable story, and I already know I will return to it again.

Ellie I love this novel-I reread it a few weeks ago for the I don't know what # of times. It's always so satisfying-even hauntingly lovely. It's not a perfect book but it's a wonderful one.

Malia Ellie wrote: "I love this novel-I reread it a few weeks ago for the I don't know what # of times. It's always so satisfying-even hauntingly lovely. It's not a perfect book but it's a wonderful one."

Agreed. Have you read anything else by the author?

message 8: by Ellie (last edited Oct 18, 2015 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ellie Just about everything. I especially like My Cousin Rachel and The Scapegoat. But nothing comes near to touching Rebecca.

Malia Ellie wrote: "Just about everything. I especially like My Cousin Rachel and The Scapegoat. But nothing comes near to touching Rebecca."

I was thinking of trying My Cousin Rachel or Jamaica Inn, but so often an author has one 'star' and their other books are not quite as magical.

message 10: by Ivonne (last edited Oct 18, 2015 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivonne Rovira Malia wrote: "Ellie wrote: "Just about everything. I especially like My Cousin Rachel and The Scapegoat. But nothing comes near to touching Rebecca."

I was thinkin..."

I liked Jamaica Inn, although not as much as Rebecca; however, it was still pretty good. I'll doing a Buddy Read of My Cousin Rachel in December or January, so I'll let you know.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (from Long Island, NY) I really appreciate your review. I’m finally going to pick this 1 up & I feel much better prepared after reading this. I definitely think I’ll enjoy it more now that I have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks!

Malia Erin wrote: "I really appreciate your review. I’m finally going to pick this 1 up & I feel much better prepared after reading this. I definitely think I’ll enjoy it more now that I have a better idea of what to..."

That makes me happy, thanks!! Hope you enjoy it:-)