Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > White Cat

Jul 25, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-and-supernatural, ya-fiction
Recommended to Mitchel by: Tori
Read from December 14 to 17, 2010 — I own a copy

This was definitely nothing like I expected. Set in a pretty intriguing alternate world where a few people of the populous are born with the ability to give instant luck, instant happiness, instant crippling of the knees, or instant death, with the touch of a finger. The world is full of paranoia to the point that all workers wear gloves, and if anyone approaches you de-gloved, well they may as well be running at you with a revved-up chainsaw. And, of course, the community at large, the normal people, are terrified of these so called "criminals", even the ones, it seems, that can do good.

I loved this pseduo X-Men world the book built, full with political angles, criminal families building up on this idea of "working" people, and of course, a main character who is the ugly duckling of his familial bunch. His brothers are pain and luck workers, his granddad is a death worker, his mom an emotion worker. Cassel is just kind of there. Getting by at some fancy boarding school, where he's having weird dreams of cats and sleepwalking off of roofs.

The set up is great, the story is solid, and the characters (well, some could have been visited more often, acting as plot fillers at best) are mostly enjoyable. Cassel can be kind of a dick sometimes, though. The downside is where the plot goes in the end. I saw the main twists from a mile away, and the ending kind of bit off more than it could chew. I'm not saying I couldn't follow all the double-then-triple crosses, backstabbing, and con games, I just think a "less is more" layout would have worked better here.

I was surprised at how much I liked the story of a deep, multiple-mafia-family-drama plot (and it mostly really does succeed), it just wasn't tied together well enough in the end. But you get the gist of who's the bad guy and who isn't, and enough of an eyebrow raising idea at a new enemy for Cassel that's sure to appear in the next book, to make me look forward to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.

12/14/2010 page 99
32.0% "wow. surprisingly good stuff here."

Cara This one is the one Tori suggested right? Sounds cool and with a rating like that seems real promising.

Mitchel Broussard yea that's the one. it was surprisingly fun to read, yeah.