Sarah's Reviews > Mechanica

Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Edelweiss.)

“I went to the cellar to check on my shoes. The glass had been cooling for hours now, but I still wasn’t sure if they’d be ready in time.”

Maybe it was just because of that pretty cover, but I expected so much more from this book.

I didn’t really like Nicolette in this story, not only did not come across the way I would expect Cinderella to come across, but she seemed to care more about her mechanical creations than real-life people, including the prince! She also seemed to be a bit violent, and wasn’t even all that bothered about going to the ball! I mean really?

"I swung my fist at her face. I landed a punch, but Chastity was already behind me."

I have to say that I really struggled with this book. The storyline just couldn’t keep my interest, and my mind wandered. I nodded off, I thought about cleaning my kitchen, I wished that the other half wasn’t watching the TV so that I could play guitar hero, I even considered cleaning my little boys room – that’s how bored I was. I mean there wasn’t even any romance!

The ending to this was likewise disappointing. (view spoiler)

4 out of 10

And it's so pretty!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mechanica.

December 17, 2014 – Shelved
July 26, 2015 – Started Reading
July 26, 2015 –
July 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Claire (Book Blog Bird) Yay! I love it when that happens :)

Sarah Me too! ☺

message 3: by Jitendra (new)

Jitendra Nice review Sarah...

message 4: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny Nice review Sarah!

Sarah Jitendra wrote: "Nice review Sarah..."

Thanks Jitendra ☺

Sarah Evgeny wrote: "Nice review Sarah!"

Thanks Evgeny! ☺

Reese Although I’m quite late to comment on this, I believe that the point of this novel was not the romance, hence Nicolette not marrying the prince. The story is not a love story, it’s a tale of struggle and family and friendship.

message 8: by Monique (new)

Monique Great review. For me, since this is based on the fairytale, I'd expect some romance in it. I guess it would have ended better if the Prince was also a (closet) mechanic, who loved her and her brain? Just think of all of the wonderful things that they could have invented together, with the prince giving his Princess her due props!