Kara's Reviews > The Invasion of the Tearling

The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

bookshelves: favorites

Review originally posted @ www.whatkarareads.com

*Please note I received an advanced copy of this novel. It does not effect my review.

Let me just start by saying that this next installment of the Tearling series is abso-flippin-lutely brilliant. Haters of Queen be damned because here in Invasion of the Tearling we begin to get some answers about the history of this world. This is where I get in the faces of every single hater sippin on the haterade, proving you all wrong, wrong, wrong!

Invasion of the Tearling is a slightly different book than we would expect of this series. The point of view shifts back and forth between Queen Kelsea preparing for the invasion of her country, and Lily, a seemingly insignificant woman living in Pre-Crossing Connecticut. I thought it was absolutely brilliant that we got to see the world of the Pre-Crossing, a place where America is pretty much a giant flippin’ mess. You’re either uber rich, or shit poor, and women’s rights? Yeah we got set back quite a few decades in that department. It’s actually quite scary to think that, with the way our society is, we could wind up there sometime in the near future. I also thought that it was pretty sweet that we actually see the Crossing. And guess what–it’s not what you would think! (Awesome shock #857402 of this novel).

Another thing I love about Invasion is that Kelsea gets darker. She fights inner battles and has urges that we all have and deal with, making her that much more realistic. She literally doesn’t give a F what anyone else thinks in this novel and it’s amazing.

Iffy issues are not glossed over, and I admire Erika greatly for this. There’s sex, there’s violence, there’s rape, there’s assault. But they make sense to the story. You see much worse on the news every day, so I don’t want to see any whining from reviewers. If you don’t like a book with real topics, go back to reading 50 Shades of Grey (I'm not even going to justify that title with italics) and leave the good books to people who actually want to read something of substance.

I can not express my love for this series enough and how much you need to read this. If you didn’t like Queen for the lack of information, I recommend you give it another shot. Read Queen immediately followed by Invasion. You might just be surprised and change your mind about it. Erika is an amazing writer and I’m officially a fan for life. This book isn’t due to be released until June, and I’m already itching for the next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invasion of the Tearling.

Finished Reading
December 17, 2014 – Shelved
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 21, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

S.A. I liked the first book enough to sample the second, and woot, what an unexpected surprise... this si better than the first by far.