Cee (The Mistress Case)'s Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

A Bitchy Review with the help of the Criminal Minds Cast

I would love to take Morgan's advice and behave myself right now, but "censor" is not part of my vocabulary. As bad as I make it sound, The Iron King wasn't that awful. However, the book would be the makings of an awful series if the author was to keep up the romance.

Sagging down the wall, I pulled my knees to my chest and joined them in their grieving, feeling I'd left my heart in the tunnel where Ash had fallen.

No, bitch. I. AM. SO. DONE. WITH YOU. I can not believe for a second that Meghan was romantically attached to Ash. There was nothing authentic about the development of their attraction to each other.

To top it off, lines that would normally pull at my heart strings made me roll my eyes.

"You made me feel alive."

something, something, something "you remind me of her. my dead girlfriend."
(I won't waste my time looking for the original line.)

I don't buy the romance. The near-death experiences and the attempted-rape incident that brought Ash and Meghan "closer together" was a cheap and shitty way to do it.

Please go back to killing each other.

I can only imagine how Meghan's unbelievable affection will escalate to obsession. And omg, he soda betrayys her, and she's like, like hurt, and shocked and like isn't their love supposed to defy the world, and it's soda funny her reaction. Lololol through tears.

Please stop there -.- I don't need your love story.

Now that I'm done trashing the romance, let's get to the good part. The technology concept obviously. At first, I was iffy about the Fae coexisting with the modern world, so color me impressed because I did not expect the direction The Iron King would take. I should have taken the title literally.

The downside: I didn't plunge into the faerie world. It was just there. The storytelling/setting was messy to follow (for instance, when the first Iron King popped up out of nowhere??? and all these other scenes). The writing was passable.

My empathy and sense of urgency were nonexistent, from when Meghan's brother was kidnapped to when her supposedly-best-friend Puck was punished for aiding in her quest. Did I ever fucking care? Did Meghan care? The only time I felt something was when the family dog was wrongly accused and put down. I was heartbroken.

The bright side: Meghan was naïve. She wasn't an ass-kicking fighter. She was dumb as fuck, but I tolerated it because she was a teenager in desperate need of connection.

And she ended up falling for Ash, much to my dismay. She sure knows how to choose them. *applauds* I mean, it wasn't enough that your crush in the beginning called you a bitch and you still wanted to be with him, but now you're pinning after an enemy who wants to kill you? Way to take it up a notch!

Gurlfriend, you're too emotionally immature to be in a relationship. Get real.

Nonetheless . . . even though Meghan had her flaws and I can appreciate that, she was as one-dimensional as the rest of the characters.

I may or may not give the second book a chance to flesh out the characters because I just don't care for them. Only the progression of the plot will change my mind. And no, do not give me that line, "Oh, but it gets better." I heard the same thing about Throne of Glass and The Grisha, but noooooo, my friends fooled me one too many times. I can't fangirl over the same books when I utterly detest them.

Please let me live my life in peace. I want to invest my time and energy in something promising.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

December 17, 2014 – Shelved
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 28, 2016 – Started Reading
March 11, 2016 –
page 30
8.26% "OHMAHGAD! NOOO! NOT THE DOG! IT WAS PROTECTING HIM! THIS IS SO UNFAIR!\n \n "
March 11, 2016 –
page 36
9.92% "oh lawd, are you kidding me? The mofo called you a bitch yesterday and you're still swooning over him. Oh geeze, shoot me now. This should be good.\n \n "
March 16, 2016 –
page 234
64.46% "Not sure how to feel about this since I've read many books about the fey before. The Iron Fey part is new though.\n \n "
March 21, 2016 –
page 261
71.9% "Dear book, you have my attention again. What memory did the oracle take? Hmmm."
March 30, 2016 –
page 300
82.64% "I feel like a cannibal because I wish the other faeries would just to eat Ash and Meghan alive.\n \n "
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: the-anatomy-of-too-stupid-to-live
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: the-hype-failed-me
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: waving-at-you-in-my-rearview-mirror
March 31, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 31, 2017 – Shelved as: rape-culture

message 1: by Nidofito (new) - added it

Nidofito Oooh. Well, shit.

Sarah Everything gets better with Criminal Minds. Awesome review!

Cee (The Mistress Case) Sarah *on hiatus* wrote: "Everything gets better with Criminal Minds. Awesome review!"

Thank you :) and omg Criminal Minds is one of the best! Incredible cast too <3

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Aw, I just read this book and felt the same. I was so confused after she got into the Nevernever, and then I stopped trying to care, and then she got with Ash out of nowhere, and I was like, "I don't care if I'm only 60 pages away from finishing; I'm done." XD

Cee (The Mistress Case) Mikaela wrote: "Aw, I just read this book and felt the same. I was so confused after she got into the Nevernever, and then I stopped trying to care, and then she got with Ash out of nowhere, and I was like, "I don..."

Right?! I was annoyed and bored out of my mind. And I started skimming the last 15 pages! The last 15, I know.