DarienMoya's Reviews > My Summer of Wes

My Summer of Wes by Missy Welsh

Jul 25, 2010

bookshelves: m-m-a-z-challenge-2011, favorites, butt-virgins, 2011-reads, my-m-m-lovin
Read from November 02 to 09, 2011

^^SUMMER JUST GOT HOTTER!^^

More of my reviews and ramblings at PANTS OFF REVIEWS

I have finally read My Summer of Wes, after being on my TBR for what feels like a hundred years. I read the story that was making a few online friends crazy with happiness. I must say ‘I am happy too'! How effing cute is this book, it made me want to go out and fall in love. Just so super uplifting, just wanna skip through fields of wheat and celebrate. Though it’s mostly a sweet story there is still some pretty strong issues presented, and I found that it created a wonderful balance.

Our main protagonist Mal is the shy kid the one picked on through all his high school years. Beaten and made to feel worthless by school bullies. Abused for being gay, before he even knew he was. It’s his last summer at home, and he is trying to keep under the radar. Soon he will leave his vanilla life, and venture off to college. Yet his home life has shaped him to be a scared young man until he gets a fancy new neighbour whose about to spill some fudge on his vanilla.

Wes is the outgoing boy, gay and proud. He restores cars, is charismatic and could care less what anyone would say about his life. When he is chatted up by the neighbourhood bullies and comes out on top, Wes has never been more larger than life and Mal takes notice. The two strike up a friendship, openly gay Wes and shy unassuming Mal who has no clue where he falls on the sexual scale. The summer is going to be about Wes, and a young Mal finally coming into his own after being finally given the freedom to do so.

I am really taken with this book, because of the well-housed balance it offers. Not just sex on pages, it offers a little reality with the reading. The emotional repercussion of being bullied can really keep one in their shell. Mal is a product of that, and the simplicity of it only takes one kind word or one friend to make things a bit better. Though it seems, Mal got a good deal; he got love too.

This story is crazy, sexy, cool. Mal and Wes are hot and young together, and I freaking love it. I recommend this book if you are looking for some PYT (pretty young thing), seriously I got TLC and Michael Jackson in here. That means the book is awesmazing

SideNote- I always said all the hate from bullying comes from a deep-rooted hate of oneself, and if you have something to hide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Summer of Wes.

11/08/2011
14.0% "I am really liking this one so far. Has a nice sweetness!"
11/09/2011
86.0% "How cute is this book!"