Wayne's Reviews > Permaculture: A Designers' Manual

Permaculture by Bill Mollison

Dec 31, 2007

Everything you ever wanted to know about Permaculture but didn't have a week to hear the explanation. Check this out at the library. The damned thing costs somewhere around eighty bucks. It's very good, but not that good.

Readers who have become isolated from nature will feel as though they've been hit upside the head with this five pound hardcover. Mollison teaches us that working with nature means learning to see frugality as beautiful. Don't just water your plants, plant them so the water pools up around them in the ground. Don't just turn on the tap, catch rainwater. Don't just carry the rainwater, catch it uphill and let it flow down to the plant. Don't just let it flow downhill, make it pass through rocks and plants that will clean it before it provides a habitat for fish for your table, and THEN let it flow down to the plant. And all this is laid out in the shape of a beautiful nautilus or flower, not for beauty's sake, but for maximum efficiency. Amazing...but still not worth eighty bucks. I learned this book's priniciples too well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Permaculture.

07/19/2016 marked as: read

Myra Hogan Because it was only published once, that's why it costs so much.

Phoenix Blackdove It's still in print, actually. It costs so much because a) it's a textbook and b) it's over 900 pages.

Personally I found my copy well worth the $120 I paid for it, but then I'm a designer so I tend to refer back to it often.