Tasha's Reviews > The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence

The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker

1921435
Jul 25, 2010

Read from July 26 to September 14, 2010

Such perfect, obvious advice. I'm just going to type out the last page here because it's so perfect.

Though the world is a dangerous place, it is also a safe place. You and I have survived some extraordinary risks, particularly given that every day we move in, around, and through powerful machines that could kill us without missing a cylinder: jet airplanes, subways, buses, escalators, elevators, motorcycles, cars - conveyances that carry a few of us to injury but most of us to the destinations we have in mind. We are surrounded by toxic chemicals, and our homes are hooked up to explosive gases and lethal currents of electricity.
Most frightening of all, we live among armed and often angry countrymen. Taken together, these things make every day a high-stakes obstacle course our ancestors would shudder at, but the fact is we are usually delivered through it. Still, rather than be amazed at the wonder of it all, millions of people are actually looking for things to worry about.
Near the end of his life, Mark Twain wisely said, "I have had a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

Read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift of Fear.