Katerina's Reviews > The Sin Eater’s Daughter

The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

I did it! I did it people, I finally finished it! Woohoo!

It took me months. Months. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that bad. In fact, I had very high expectations and the story seemed very promising, but there were some factors that prevented me from enjoying it (although the second half was way better than the first).

1. Do you see this gorgeous cover? With the girl contained in a vial? That is exactly the feeling I got while reading The Sin Eater’s Daughter. I felt claustrophobic, Twylla's life in the first half with all the helplessness was more than I could bear. I read because one way or another books make me fly, but this was suffocating.

2. The NOTP. Seriously, I got nauseous every time Twylla and Lief had a scene together (and believe me,there were many). They just weren't right, I could not witness the relationship between them and the lovey-eyes and lovestruck smiles without rolling my eyes.

3. Twylla

She.deserved.everything.that.happened.to.her. She was one of the worst heroines I have ever read about. The word heroine is too much for her, since the only thing she did was whimper about her misfortune to marry the prince and become queen (boo hoo hoo poor girl) and complain about the lack of choices when, as the queen-bitch put it, she had choices, she just didn't like them. She never tried to change things, she was always, always afraid and her cowardice and selfishness almost doomed the kingdom in the time of need. The only choice she ever made was to get involved with her guard and that was the stupidest thing she could do.

The storyline was quite intriguing though, and the last chapters set me on edge because everything went to hell. There were many plot twists and the queen was a very... villainous villain, one of those you love to hate. I liked Merek, although I don't know why he wanted to marry Twylla, and I will read the next book out of curiosity. I am just sorry this one didn't reach my expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sin Eater’s Daughter.

December 15, 2014 – Shelved
December 15, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 24, 2015 – Started Reading
June 15, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

Sophia Sardothien Do you like this?

Katerina Ughh I can't finish it so far!I've read the half,and the story is really promising but there are two factors that prevent me from enjoying it!When I decide to continue reading it I will let you know!

Katerina I just saw you rated it with 2 stars,does it get even slightly better?

Sophia Sardothien HAHAHAHA IDK I really didn't like this book :( HONESTLY the premise was so intriguing like you said. But the plot just drags on a lot, the character's relationships are so unrealistic.

Katerina I had very high expectations,but I just can't!!It is a very bleak book,I felt claustrophobic page after page and the love triangle got in my nerves!I will finish it,I just don't know when :P

Aj the Ravenous Reader Aw. :( I had really high hopes for this book but I'm glad you'll still be reading the next book. Hopefully, it reads better. Fantastic review, Kat. <3

Katerina Thank you Aj!!xD
I had high expectations as well,the story was actually interesting but I couldn't connect with the characters nor understand their decisions!I really hope though that if you try it you will enjoy it more than I did!

Catarina (TravelerBetweenWorlds) It's worth try reading it?

message 9: by Alexxy (new) - added it

Alexxy I have it on my TBR, is it so bad that should be abandoned or is it worth a try? Great review, by the way ;)

Katerina Alexxy wrote: "I have it on my TBR, is it so bad that should be abandoned or is it worth a try? Great review, by the way ;)"

Catarina wrote: "It's worth try reading it?"

The storyline is intriguing,and so is the world-building so you could give it a try,it's not like it was the worst book I've ever read!My main problem was the MC,but perhaps you won't find her that annoying!I think you should give it a try and see for yourselves!
Thank you Alexxy!!:)

Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ Awesome review, Katerina :)

Katerina Thank you lovely Elise!! xo xo

Nastassja To read or not to read this book. I don't know what to do ;_;

Katerina Nastassja wrote: "To read or not to read this book. I don't know what to do ;_;"

I'm not sure I can help you!Depends on what you expect from this book!;)

Nastassja Katerina wrote: "Nastassja wrote: "To read or not to read this book. I don't know what to do ;_;"

I'm not sure I can help you!Depends on what you expect from this book!;)"

I need a strong female lead and no love triangle :D This book was on my radar for a while now and every time I am more and more inclined not to read it and now your review helped me to understand that probably the heroine will annoy me a lot. But at the same time the idea of sin eaters is rather fresh and intriguing. Agh, anyway, thanks for you wonderful review, honey, you cleared some things for me pretty well))

Katerina Well I'm sorry but there is a love triangle and the female lead is pathetic :P You're welcome dear,if you decide to read it I hope you'll enjoy it more than I did!;)

Masooma Amazing review :) I can't agree more ;)

Katerina Masooma wrote: "Amazing review :) I can't agree more ;)"

Thank you Masooma!!^^

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, sweets!<3

Katerina Arianna wrote: "Awesome review, sweets!<3"

Thank you honey!! <3

Grace Eleanor I've just finished this, it wasokay but my God the whole Lief part bored me to tears, great review

Katerina Grace wrote: "I've just finished this, it wasokay but my God the whole Lief part bored me to tears, great review"

Thank God someone else who also hated the romance,it was awful!Thank you Grace!!:)

message 23: by Χαρά (new)

Χαρά Ζ. "Ό,τι πάθαινε το άξιζε γιατί ήταν σκύλα" γελάω μόνη μου :p Ωραίο το review σου πάλι <3

Katerina Chara_ wrote: ""Ό,τι πάθαινε το άξιζε γιατί ήταν σκύλα" γελάω μόνη μου :p Ωραίο το review σου πάλι <3"

Χαχαχα ρε πραγματικά τα άξιζε όλα,η κοπέλα ήταν ηλίθια!!Κρίμα γιατί είχε καλό στόρυ δεν το αξιοποίησε κατάλληλα!Ευχαριστώ αγαπημένη!! <3

message 25: by Χαρά (new)

Χαρά Ζ. Missed potential. Αυτό με στεναχωρεί περισσότερο από το να είναι ένα βιβλίο απλά κακό :/ Κοίτα, άμα ήταν στόκος η κοπέλα είναι λογικό να παθαίνει διάφορα. Αυτό συμβαίνει όταν λείπει ο εγκέφαλος από τη θέση του :p

Katerina Chara_ wrote: "Missed potential. Αυτό με στεναχωρεί περισσότερο από το να είναι ένα βιβλίο απλά κακό :/ Κοίτα, άμα ήταν στόκος η κοπέλα είναι λογικό να παθαίνει διάφορα. Αυτό συμβαίνει όταν λείπει ο εγκέφαλος από..."

Συμφωνώ απόλυτα,και σε άλλα βιβλία τυχαίνει να είναι αντιπαθητικές οι πρωταγωνίστριες ή να μην shipάρεις το love story αλλά εξακολουθούν να σου αρέσουν,αυτό όμως ενώ είχε τόσο καλή υπόθεση δεν εξελίχθηκε καλά,με το ζόρι γύριζα τις σελίδες σε κάποια σημεία!Χαχα μα ρε παιδί μου ήταν συνεχώς αβοήθητη,περίμενε πάντα οι άλλοι να την σώσουν και όλο κλαιγόταν!Ακατοίκητο λέμε!!

message 27: by Χαρά (new)

Χαρά Ζ. Katerina wrote: "Chara_ wrote: "Missed potential. Αυτό με στεναχωρεί περισσότερο από το να είναι ένα βιβλίο απλά κακό :/ Κοίτα, άμα ήταν στόκος η κοπέλα είναι λογικό να παθαίνει διάφορα. Αυτό συμβαίνει όταν λείπει ..."

Ααα ήταν η κλασσική "όλα μου φταίνε αλλά δεν κάνω τίποτα για να αλλάξω την κατάσταση. Είμαι η πρωταγωνίστρια παιδιά, απλά σώστε με, για το Θεό δηλ, γιατί σας παίρνει τόση ώρα;" Ντάξει αυτές ούτε που τις λυπάμαι.

message 28: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Sorry this one wasn't a bit more enjoyable but that cover is GORGEOUS!! Great review!!!!

Katerina Chara_ wrote: "Katerina wrote: "Chara_ wrote: "Missed potential. Αυτό με στεναχωρεί περισσότερο από το να είναι ένα βιβλίο απλά κακό :/ Κοίτα, άμα ήταν στόκος η κοπέλα είναι λογικό να παθαίνει διάφορα. Αυτό συμβα..."

Ακριβώς,δεν μπορείς να τις λυπηθείς γιατί αυτές φταίνε για ό,τι στραβό και ανάποδο τους συμβαίνει!

Deanna wrote: "Sorry this one wasn't a bit more enjoyable but that cover is GORGEOUS!! Great review!!!!"

Thank you Deanna!!^^ Well the cover is the main reason I started reading this!:P ;)

Catarina (TravelerBetweenWorlds) I've read it and I totally see your POV. I also had so many expectations for this but what really saved the book were indeed the last chapters. Things were so weird while I was reading... And for Merek, I really liked him :)
Btw great review!

Katerina Catarina wrote: "I've read it and I totally see your POV. I also had so many expectations for this but what really saved the book were indeed the last chapters. Things were so weird while I was reading... And for M..."

Thank you so much Catarina!!^^ Merek was my favorite,he saved the book for me many times,him and the last chapters!I'm just sorry that for a great part of this book,reading it was a task I had to complete and not pleasure!

message 32: by Kira (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kira Simion I'm glad you enjoyed it! I also liked this story and the characters (well at least the two main ones) were really nice to read

message 33: by Kira (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katerina Kira wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed it! I also liked this story and the characters (well at least the two main ones) were really nice to read"

I did enjoy some aspects of this story even though I hated most of the characters!! xD I'm curious about the sequel though!

Bode  Cauthon Merek is the only reason I will read book two.... I feel like he was the only one with any character at all....

Katerina Quia wrote: "Merek is the only reason I will read book two.... I feel like he was the only one with any character at all...."

You're so right, Quia! I haven't read the second book yet, do you think it's worth it?