Bonnie's Reviews > The Tail of Emily Windsnap

The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler

Dec 30, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-sf, reviewed, library-books, series-in-progress
Recommended for: fans of fanciful fun reads
Read in January, 2008

I felt too old for this book too, but at times was able to loose myself in the fancy of it's fun story.

Emily has grown up on a house boat, but has never been fully submerged in the water. All that changes when she finally convinces her mother to let her take a swimming class. When she gets in the water, though, her legs suddenly feel strange. This is because they are turning into a mermaid's tail! She quickly jumps out of the pool, but decides to swim in the bay, and see what she can do. While swimming, she happens across another mermaid, about the same age as her. The 2 of them become friends, go on adventures, and on one particular adventure, Emily finds something that will change her life, and the way she thinks of herself forever!

Like I said, I felt too old for this at times. For example, I figured out things before she did, and mainly I kept wanting her to tell her Mom what was going on!

Other than that, it was a sweet fantasy tale, adventuresome and nicely descriptive of the underwater world. Emily is an independant and resourceful girl, and I know I would have admired how well she got things done if I had read this when I was younger.
There is a sequel to this, and I think I'll check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tail of Emily Windsnap.