Jason's Reviews > Future Arctic: Field Notes from a World on the Edge

Future Arctic by Edward Struzik

bookshelves: antarctica-arctic-and-polar, natural-hx, netgalley, reading-challenge, read2015

Full disclosure: I asked for and received a galley of this title from Island Press through NetGalley.

Struzik mixes journalism and travelogue to investigate all aspects of climate change’s effect on Arctic ecology: from plant life to the seas to native human populations. Using scientific data and observation, he also ponders what Arctic regions will look like in the near future (hence the title of the book). Unsurprisingly, most of it does not bode well for many Arctic species and environments. Longer stretches of warm weather are already changing land and sea at historic rates, opening up new areas to invasive species and human exploitation…and lots of bugs! Personally, I found this a tough read for that reason (it’s not a happy topic), but Struzik as a writer is neither an alarmist nor does he dwell solely on misery—refreshing in literature about climate change—and he sticks to his mostly objective journalist guns throughout. Some of the details and numbers were a little much for my poor humanities brain, but I would happily recommend this book to anyone interested in climate change, Artic issues, or ecology.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Future Arctic.

December 14, 2014 – Started Reading