jenjn79's Reviews > Wild Ride

Wild Ride by Lorelei James

Jul 23, 2010

bookshelves: format-trade-pb, genre-anthologies, series-rough-riders, 2010, info-full, published-2010, reviewed, genre-romance-erotic, stars-4, author-lorelei-james
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read from July 29 to 31, 2010

I bought this anthology for Lorelei James's "Rough Riders" novella since I absolutely love that series. James didn't disappoint, and the other two novellas were too bad either.

Series Note:
LJ's novella, "Strong, Silent Type," is part of her "Rough Riders" series...it's sort of a 'between the numbers' addition and can be read as a standalone. I'm not sure if the other two novellas have any series connections.

Buckling Down by Moira Keith
In this novella, Levi is a rodeo star, and a celebrity in general. He's just getting his career back on track after too many distractions when he runs into a childhood crush, Sydney, who is the sister of one of his best friends. The chemistry is instant and Levi decides to hell with the pack he'd made with his friend about not dating his sister.

I enjoyed this story, but at the same time, it wasn't really fitting to this type of anthology. Theme wise - with the cowboy, rodeo and all that - it fits perfectly, but on and erotic romance level it fell way behind. The other two stories are pure erotic romance and this one is just a sensual romance. It made it seem ill-fiting.

But it was a sweet story and I liked the characters, the situation, and the story. It was an easy story to read, and I especially liked that there was a slight suspense element added with Sydney's stalker, psycho ex. Really gave the story some extra meat.

Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars

Strong, Silent Type by Lorelei James
Quinn and Libby McKay have been married for years, and together a lot longer. But things have gone south in their marriage, leading to a trial separation. Quinn is content to wait for Libby to come to her senses when he realizes he needs to fight for his wife. He's not about to let go of the woman he loves completely.

I've been waiting to read this story for ages and finally got a chance to buy the anthology it came out in (originally it was a solo ebook release a year ago). I love this series and couldn't wait to read about Quinn and Libby. And author Lorelei James delivered a great story in a short 90 or so pages.

I worried initially, once I figured out the storyline, that this would be one of those annoying stories where the wife is like 'if you can't figure it out, I'm not going to tell you' or that all the couples problems would be heaped onto one or the other. But I loved the way James wrote this story. Initially, it seems like Quinn is the screw up, but as the story moves along, Libby realizes that she did quite a few things wrong too. It was a great direction for the story to go. I liked how everything worked out between them

And yeah, there's some super hot sex too ;)

Rating: 5 / 5 stars

The Real Deal by Niki Green
In this novella, Nick and Hayden Kiel manage to sneak into an erotic burlesque club in Dallas, Texas, but are shocked to find that one of the main performers is their brother Chase's ex-girlfriend, who ran off after Chase proposed to her. When Chase finds out where Willa is, he'll resort to anything - even kidnapping - in order to get her back.

This was my least favorite story of the 3 in this anthology. Mainly for two reasons. I liked the premise. It's kinda unique and had a lot of potential, but somewhere along the way the story fell a bit flat.

For one thing, something about the writing itself was off for me. The way things were worded at times was awkward and lacking flow, and a few times verb tense didn't seem right. I wondered while reading if maybe the author was either not a native English speaker, or if they were just a rather inexperienced writer.

Second, the story felt somewhat incomplete. There were areas that needed more fleshing out. I felt like I hardly knew the characters, the situation, who everyone was and all that. I wanted more to the story. Some unnecessary filler could have been cut out for more development in important areas. And also, the relationship resolution was way too abrupt. I didn't understand what was going on between these two, and Willa's change of mind was really abrupt and didn't make much sense. There just needed to be a lot more of this story.

But I didn't mind it too much and I was intrigued enough by the other Kiel brothers to want to read a story for each of them as well.

Rating: 3 / 5 stars

*****

Overall rating: 4 / 5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Ride.