Mary's Reviews > White Heat

White Heat by Brenda Novak

Jul 23, 2010

bookshelves: review-book, romantic-suspense
Read from August 09 to 11, 2010

I don’t read a lot of romantic suspense novels and I’ve never read one by Brenda Novak but after reading White Heat I’ll be looking for more of her books. I really enjoyed the main characters. Rachel and Nate wish they could forget the embarrassing event that took place several months earlier but they must maintain a professional attitude in an uncomfortable situation. And talk about uncomfortable – everything from the ride to the location, the grimy trailer where they stay until going to the commune, and then the commune itself. Novak brings the hot and dry Arizona setting alive.

The pace was great. The suspense of whether or not Rachel and Nate would be successful in their mission had me quickly turning the pages. That was really the best part for me because although it was easy to predict what would happen, I just wasn’t sure about how. I wasn’t disappointed.

Novak’s bad guys were creepy bad. The Manson-like cult leader and his number one henchman were pretty scary. I didn’t enjoy reading about the cult rituals. Even the main characters wished they weren’t on this mission – they’d rather have been on a drug bust or any other case. Novak did a good job developing the supporting characters giving enough detail to explain why they might be involved in a cult. All in all, I liked the novel even though I didn’t enjoy the cult topic.
3.5/5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Heat.