Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Likeness

The Likeness by Tana French

bookshelves: 2015

After the evens of In the Woods, Cassie Maddox is struggling to get her life back together. When a woman resembling her is found with an ID bearing the same name Cassie used in an undercover case years before, Cassie is thrust into a life that isn't her own in an effort to find out who killed the woman with her face...

The Likeness was a tough nut to crack. The setup is fairly preposterous and was a big hurdle to overcome before I could dig into the book and enjoy Tana French's superb stylings. A woman pretending to be another woman that looks just like her in an effort to find out who killed her? Is this an episode of The Bloodhound Gang I missed?

Once I got over my initial misgivings with the setup, I enjoyed The Likeness immensely. I still loved Cassie from Operation Vestal so I was already invested in the story. Tana French is no slouch, either. Just as in In the Woods, she crafted a great cast of characters. As Cassie's identity eroded and merged with Lexie's, I have to admit that I didn't blame Cassie for getting attached to Lexie's friends and their relationship.

There were some tense moments on the road, like every time Cassie/Lexie slipped up. I had no idea what actually happened to Lexie until it was spelled out for me, nor did I guess the identity of the father of her baby.

Cassie's relationships with Sam and Frank were also one of the more interesting parts of the book. French could have easily glossed over some of those details but I'm glad she didn't. French creates some of the richest characters in crime fiction. I still wish things would have went differently with her and Rob in In the Woods, though.

Four out of five stars but French had to work harder for that fourth star than she did in In the Woods. Luckily I've got the next Dublin Murder Squad book on deck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Likeness.

December 12, 2014 – Shelved
page 354
page 375
January 11, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
January 11, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 25, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ I couldn't get past the ridiculous premise, but did manage to finish, and also mostly like Cassie. So I'll give her some props for solid writing that kept me from chucking it entirely.

message 2: by Trudi (new)

Trudi The Bloodhound Gang!!!

message 3: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent Trudi wrote: "The Bloodhound Gang!!!"

If there's trouble, they'll be there on the double!

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth ...I still wish things would have went differently with her and Rob in In the Woods, though.

oh, man. i hear that!

message 5: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent Elizabeth wrote: "...I still wish things would have went differently with her and Rob in In the Woods, though.

oh, man. i hear that!"

I'm still mad about that! Damn Rob!

James Thane You liked this one a bit better than I did. I really love French's work, but to my mind, this is the weakest of her books. Like Dan 2.0, I just could not buy into the basic premise.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dan wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "...I still wish things would have went differently with her and Rob in In the Woods, though.

oh, man. i hear that!"

I'm still mad about that! Damn Rob!"

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Elizabeth wrote: I still wish things would have went differently with her and Rob

Me too, I really wanted Rob to die!

Melissa Yay! I'm so happy you're reading these.

message 10: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent Melissa wrote: "Yay! I'm so happy you're reading these."

French is the real deal if she can keep the quality up like she has been.

Melissa Dan wrote: "French is the real deal if she can keep the quality up like she has been."

I feel comfortable in saying that they only get better.

Sheila I've been really looking forward to reading this series, but have been having trouble finding the first one! Now I need to double my efforts :)

James Thane Sheila wrote: "I've been really looking forward to reading this series, but have been having trouble finding the first one! Now I need to double my efforts :)"

You won't regret it. As I suggested above, I had some reservations about the second book, but I've really enjoyed all of the others.

Victor You've captured my sentiments to the tee!

message 15: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent Victor wrote: "You've captured my sentiments to the tee!"

If French wasn't such a great writer, this book could have easily been an unbelievable mess.

Paula Kalin I'm hoping the next in the series is better than what I have read so far. Unfortunately not thrilled yet.

James Thane Paula wrote: "I'm hoping the next in the series is better than what I have read so far. Unfortunately not thrilled yet."

It definitely is, Paula. Don't give up on her yet!

Paula Kalin James wrote: "Paula wrote: "I'm hoping the next in the series is better than what I have read so far. Unfortunately not thrilled yet."

It definitely is, Paula. Don't give up on her yet!"

I trust your judgement. Will give the next one a go. :)

James Thane Paula wrote: "I trust your judgement. Will give the next one a go. :) ..."

Please be sure to let me know what you think of it.

message 20: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent This one was my least favorite. The fourth one is the best, in my opinion.

James Thane Dan wrote: "This one was my least favorite. The fourth one is the best, in my opinion."

I agree on both counts.

Amanda NEVER MANDY Odd person out here, this one is my favorite because of its weird premise. Stands out in my mind the most.

Amanda NEVER MANDY P.S.
Great review!! (That was supposed to be at the beginning of my previous comment.)

message 24: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent Thanks! There's a new Tana French coming out in August, IIRC.

Amanda NEVER MANDY Dan wrote: "Thanks! There's a new Tana French coming out in August, IIRC."

Happy happy joy joy!!!

Paula Kalin James wrote: "Paula wrote: "I trust your judgement. Will give the next one a go. :) ..."

Please be sure to let me know what you think of it."

Will do, James. Glad to hear this is a least favorite out of the series for both of you. Enjoyed your review, Dan!

message 27: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent Thanks!

message 28: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Scalfino Dan which one would you recommend to start with?

message 29: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Schwent In the Woods. They don't absolutely need to be read in order but you'll get the most of out it that way