Suzanne's Reviews > Set This House in Order

Set This House in Order by Matt Ruff

bookshelves: recommended-by-goodreads
Recommended to Suzanne by: Goodreads

I'm slightly stunned that this book hasn't been discovered and devoured by more readers. Once you start reading it, it's absolutely addictive. One of those books that you can't wait to get back to. I can see that the description of the book could be a little off-putting ... one character with Multiple Personality Disorder meets another character with Multiple Personality Disorder. Sounds really confusing, right? That's where the author, Matt Ruff, really excels. It's amazing how he pulls off introducing the different personalities of the first character through a mundane 'waking up, having a shower and eating breakfast' scene.

I also can't believe that this hasn't been optioned for a movie. It would require Oscar-worthy performances for two actors to pull it off, but it would be fascinating to watch. In the meantime, we have this absorbing and thought-provoking book to fill our imaginations.

This is one of those stories where the less said in a review, the better. Read the Preview and see what you think. It hooked me and I hope it hooks more of you too.

Side note: this was recommended to me by the Goodreads Recommendations Engine. So glad it did as otherwise I would never have come across it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Set This House in Order.

Quotes Suzanne Liked

Matt Ruff
“Something else that puzzles me about other people is that a lot of them don’t know their purpose in life. This usually does bother them—more than not being able to remember being born, anyway—but I can’t even imagine it. Part of knowing who I am is knowing why I am, and I’ve always known who I am, from the first moment.”
Matt Ruff, Set This House in Order

December 12, 2014 – Started Reading
December 12, 2014 – Shelved
December 12, 2014 –
2.0% "Pretty amazing how the author is pulling off introducing the different personalities in a character with Multiple Personality Disorder all within a few pages."
December 13, 2014 –