C.G. Drews's Reviews > Lock & Mori

Lock & Mori by Heather W. Petty

bookshelves: retelling, young-adult, thriller-crime, read-2016

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock & Mori.

December 12, 2014 – Shelved
December 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 16, 2016 – Started Reading
July 16, 2016 –
page 120
46.88% "It's modern London. But they speak like it's 1800s London.\n SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS MAKES SENSE."
July 17, 2016 – Shelved as: retelling
July 17, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 17, 2016 – Shelved as: thriller-crime
July 17, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
July 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Ellie Loredan Your review makes me wonder why I ended up giving it three stars since I totally agree with you and jotted down most of the points you mentioned, too. I really don't get why Mori is Moriarty. She'd make much more sense as Irene Adler.

Larissa :) [HIATUS] I feel ya, Every Breath really has set the standard for sherlock retellings so high :P

message 3: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Ellie: YES!! She was like playing the part of Irene the whole time! I didn't even realise that till you mentioned it. XD

@Larissa: Every Breath is just THE MOST AMAZING RETELLING OF EVER. Nothing can live up to it. :')

Nicole This book definitely made me fell very meh about it too! I'm an American and I can tell the accents weren't too great. Thanks for the new Sherlock retelling rec. I think you should try Locked by Eva Morgan. I thought it was really good. Reminded me a lot of BBC Sherlock

Lizzy (Bent Bookworm) And off the TBR list it goes...I was hoping this would be awesome. Pretty sure I would be shredding pages partway through after reading this. Thanks for doing it for me! :P ;)

Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas) Wow. Usually American writers aren't bad at writing British characters...aside from the whole tea obsession, I mean.

Larissa :) [HIATUS] Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Ellie: YES!! She was like playing the part of Irene the whole time! I didn't even realise that till you mentioned it. XD

@Larissa: Every Breath is just THE MOST AMAZING RETELLING OF EVER. Nothing..."

So, so very ACCURATE. <3

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll "super meh. Which is like normal "meh" but it's super so it wears a cape." I'M LAUGHING. XD

Sorry you didn't like the book though. :-/ Sadness.

Gosh Cait I hope you get a 5 star book SOON! D: I keep watching your reading progress and aaaall the 2-stars (and 1-stars) make me sad for you. :( *bookworm huggle*

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel You should try A Study in Charlotte it was a better Sherlock inspired read then this one

Grace Have you read Locked by Eva Morgan? The Sherlock in that one is much weirder and smarter. :)

message 11: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Nicole: Omg I haven't heard of that one before! I WILL TRY IT!!

@Lizzy: *bows* My pain is your gain. XD

@Rain: I have yet to read a book by an American that convincingly portrays British characteristics. There's a lot of dialect and mannerisms that they seem to miss.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Deborah: OMG I KNOW RIGHT?! *sobs* I've think I've read 14 two and three star books this month. :/

@Rachel: I have read that one!! But...*hides* I didn't like it either. Sorry! I'm glad you liked it!

@Grace: I haven't!! But I'm looking it up now!!

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Try A Study of Scarlet Women. It has a female Holmes and Watson but it is well done.

message 14: by Eirini (new)

Eirini Melena Trouble is a Friend of Mine is really fun

Sophia Soooo I just read this book and so I came to read your review and I 100% agree with every single thing you say here. Literally. Everything. I was thinking all these things as I was reading the book. Maybe I'll just not write a review and link to yours and be like: THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I THINK. (Right now my review literally just says "Meh.") also I guessed the murderer like two words in (maybe I'm exaggerating but it was pretty early on) and that is not at all what I want from a Sherlock Holmes story, good sir!

message 16: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Sophia: AHH WE ARE BRAIN TWINS. :')

message 17: by Kira (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kira Simion THANK YOU. UGH YES

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) I attempted this one and couldn't get through. The hunt for a good Sherlock retelling continues.