Buggy's Reviews > Harvard's Education

Harvard's Education by Suzanne Brockmann

Jul 22, 2010

bookshelves: contemp-rom, men-in-uniform-af-spc-op, rom-susp, shelf-11, kickass-heroine
Read from March 14 to 16, 2011

Opening Line: "This was wrong. It was all wrong."

Ack this was so good. Although I will admit a bit slow to get started, by the end however I really felt like I knew our heroes and was completely wrapped up in their lives, especially during their last so called “training” mission together. Jeez talk about suspense and romance in the jungle.

“Harvard” Becker is the 5th SEAL from Brockmann’s Tall Dark and Dangerous series to have his story told. And while I somehow missed this fantastic series the first time around I’m sure enjoying the hell out of it now with the re-issues. These well written, quickie romances are impossible to put down, with delicious alpha male heroes, sweet romances and just the right amount of action, suspense and melodrama to keep you coming back for more. And except for Brockman’s tendency to make up imaginary countries I just love her style of writing; using real military jargon she gives us larger then life Navy Seal heroes and exciting yet plausible storylines. Her romantic dialogue and love scenes are always amazing and our big, bad hero *sigh* usually even sheds a few tears.

Harvard and the rest of SEAL team 10 are running training exercises during an 8 week experiment wherein they are to train members of FInCOM in all things Navy SEAL. With the type of life and death situations they face this is an exclusive boys club and that’s just the way Harvard likes it. Enter PJ Richards, sharpshooter, most capable recruit, Harvard’s perfect intellectual match and of course all woman. With his sexist attitude these two have problems from the start. Harvard just doesn’t believe women belong in a combat zone, it’s too dangerous, too brutal and she would be far too distracting.

A great deal of HARVARD’S EDUCATION takes place within the relative downtime of training, so we really get to know our couple. Watching their relationship ebb and flow at times felt like a character study without the usual benefit of firefights, tangos and explosions. Another great aspect here was getting reacquainted with past team members in particular Joe Catalanotto from book #1 (Prince Joe) We are also introduced to new grey group member ‘Crash’ and I can’t wait for his story in(Hawken's Heart)

The ending chapters here were fantastic as a planned out of country “training” mission goes horribly wrong. Leaving me hanging for quite a while as to whether the mission (and fatalities) were in fact real or a training op. Pinned down by hostiles, armed only with paint ball guns, and with their leader Captain Joe severely injured and taken hostage it’s going to be up to PJ and Harvard to save the day. Will he be able to set his prejudices aside long enough to let PJ do her job and help rescue their team mates? Will they make sweet love while awaiting nightfall, save their commander and maybe fall in love? Sorry my description makes this sound super cheesy when in fact this is actually suspenseful, exciting and really well done. Cheers Brockmann, another great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvard's Education.

03/15/2011 page 160
show 1 hidden update…

ElaineY Wow. You're listing authors I haven't read in years:D

I remember this being one of my first Brockmanns and I loved it.

message 2: by Buggy (last edited Jul 23, 2010 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy I've just started reading Brockmann.(Why I waited so long, I have no idea??) Even her old Harlequins stand up pretty well today. I'm saving the Troubleshooters for last though because I think they'll spoil me for anything else.

Jacqueline You're right, they will spoil you. Only one more week until Izzy's story comes out. I'm on pins and needles.

Jacqueline I need to reread this. I did buy the new version with the 3 stories. Maybe I'll like it better on a reread.

Buggy Maybe after you finish Izzy's story you'll need some more Brockmann, this would satisfy. I'm just loving them so I recommend a re-read for you

Jacqueline Ahh, Izzy's story. Only one more day and I can get my copy at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Buggy And then just 1 week until Lover Unleashed. Its a good month

message 8: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Buggy, Great review!

Buggy Hey thanks Lisa Kay, it seems like I'm the last person to read this series, loving it though

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina Great review -- I am planning to read this one next.

Buggy Thanks Regina, I'm glad I'm not alone I thought everyone had already read this series

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Nope you're not alone, I haven't read this series either, although I'm planning to now. :)

Buggy YAY come join my sexy SEAL party!

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I added the first one, better start at the beginning HA!

message 15: by Buggy (last edited Mar 21, 2011 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Definitely start at the beginning, all the stories are sort of connected and Prince Joe (#1) is still my favorite.

message 16: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Buggy, I haven't read this one either. And Prince Joe is my favorite too!

Buggy Yeah thats a good book isn't it. Its got a Miss Congeniality theme

message 18: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay I never thought of it, but you're right!

Auntee I am so envious that you're reading these right now!:)

Buggy But you've read them right Auntee? You just want to read them again? To me they're like dessert. They're short so they're like little peieces of a delicious, rich cake.

Auntee I have read them all, and I went on a mad search years ago to find those formerly OOP ones (like Get Lucky (Tall, Dark & Dangerous #9) ! I used to pull them out (before my TBR pile was gigantic) and read them again (I think I've read Frisco's Kid 3 times) every so often.

You're right--they are like little pieces of delicious, rich cake!:)

message 22: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Ohhhh, Auntee, Frisco's Kid was good.

Buggy Auntee, Get Lucky is a ridiculously bad cover but I can see the intrigue with wanting to have those OOP editions.
Frisco's Kid was really, really good, I will definetly be reading it again. I also just finished Hawken's Heart and loved tht one too. The aloof, secretive and very alone hero, Crash was fantastic

message 24: by Auntee (last edited Mar 22, 2011 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee Loved Crash too. Have you read The Admiral's Bride yet? I think the Admiral (I forget his name now) was in "Hawken's Heart".

At the time I was reading them, all I had to choose from was that god-awful cover with the Pillsbury dough-boy on it. I know there's another cover out there now, isn't there? Get Lucky (Tall, Dark & Dangerous #9) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #991) by Suzanne Brockmann
Oh wait, I see that's being reissued next month along with "Taylor's Temptation". I should pick that up so I can ditch that other one.:)

Jake was the Admiral, right?

message 25: by Buggy (last edited Mar 22, 2011 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Yeah I was going to mention he was looking a little...pudgy. I haven't read The Admirals Bride yet because I'm waiting for Tall, Dark and Daring The Admiral's Bride\Identity Unknown by Suzanne Brockmannto be reissued, Yeah that's a better cover.

You are right, Admiral Jake Robinson is the person Crash is accused of assassinating in Hawken's Heart. I've heard that The Admirals Bride is really good.

Tall, Dark and Deadly Get Lucky and Taylor's Temptation by Suzanne Brockmann is released in May and Night Watch by Suzanne Brockmann then I can finally get into those Troubleshooters.

Auntee Oh my, much better covers!

Yes, "The Admiral's Bride" is one of my favorites...so is "Night Watch" with Wes.:)

chanceofbooks I love this book. I've re-read this at least 4 times--My favorite scene is where PJ meet's Harvard's parents. I love Admiral's Bride, Night Watch, and Taylor's Temptation too. Love the whole series!