Liralen's Reviews > Gloss

Gloss by Marilyn Kaye

Dec 12, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, peace-out, ya, z-2015, hear-me-roar, reviewed

It's 1963 in New York, and the interns of Gloss magazine know exactly what they want. Sherry's having her grand adventure before she settles into the path she's chosen: college, marriage to her high-school boyfriend, family. Pamela's looking for adventure too, but her rules are looser and her plans somewhat less distinct -- secretarial school, then who knows? Allison is dead-set on rebelling against her New England Proper family. Donna is seeking an escape route...and hoping to keep her secrets hidden.

And yes, indeed, it's pretty adorable. Would make an excellent summer/beach read. The girls all grow up over the course of the summer, and while most of it's predictable, there are some neat little twists. In some ways I wish the girls had a bit more depth (or maybe that not all of their POVs were included? I'm not sure. Jarring at first, but by the end it didn't bother me), but...well, they each have a learning curve. Love that romance isn't the primary focus, even when certain characters think it should be.

Not earth-shattering, but a good fit for my (current, minor) obsession with light 60s YA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gloss.

Finished Reading