Mariℓina's Reviews > The Rise

The Rise by Julie Plec

bookshelves: netgalley-arc

3,5 Stars!
I'll simply start with that: how can someone not like Klaus? He is the ultimate anti-hero, he pontificates everything we hate to love, he analyzes all in such a way that is practically unthinkable not to feel the charm he exudes. But i can't lie, Elijah did it for me.

The whole book had a very show-like feeling, i even pictured it as a new episode and that was very good, mostly because the characters were genuine and true to what we know and love.

The storyline was also viewer-friendly and didn't turn away from the origins we all know, it just expanded them through a fresh and highly detailed take that made main heroes even more likeable.

I heard their voices in my head in every page and it absolutely felt like i peeked through the curtain to gain more info about the series. I could connect with all the issues that arose. The unresolved love interests, the pain, the struggle to live a "normal" life and put some roots in a place, the power games, the immorality, the vengeful plan to seek war.

The endless battle won't come to an end, no, not in this book, but i can tell you right away that it will turn to be a difficult, interesting and quite ambiguous task.

THOUGHTS ABOUT THE BOOK

- So much background.
- Multi POV.
- The mysterious Vivienne tangled everything up.
- Good writing. Even though i got somewhat destructed towards the end.
- Elijah, always the level-headed, diplomatic and trustworthy man.
- Every character has it's own agenda.
- Klaus and Rebekah, will suffer some losses.
- If you haven't seen the series, i would recommend to watch them and then read this book.

ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review. Thank you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise.

December 12, 2014 – Shelved
December 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 12, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley-arc
July 8, 2015 – Started Reading
July 10, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Lola I'm so glad you liked this too!! I thought it was amazing. I love the Originals. Not the TV show... not really, but when they were in VD they were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

message 2: by Rebel. (new)

Rebel. Lola wrote: "I'm so glad you liked this too!! I thought it was amazing. I love the Originals. Not the TV show... not really, but when they were in VD they were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G"

I know, right! My thoughts exactly!

message 3: by Rebel. (new)

Rebel. Yep. Klaus *_* He's the only reason I watched VD (except for Ian Somerhalder (note: NOT Damon Salvatore, 'cause sometimes, he seems a little... er... psychotic.) and Rebekah...