Iowa City Public Library's Reviews > Sonata for Miriam

Sonata for Miriam by Linda Olsson

Jul 22, 2010

bookshelves: audio, kara, staff-picks-blog, fiction

Astrid and Veronika author Linda Olsson’s new book, translated from Swedish and set in New Zealand, Poland and Sweden, explores the consequences of secrets that are not shared. As I wrote in my blog post for Astrid and Veronika, Olsson readers must be patient and wait for Olsson to tell the story. Olsson will give details when she is ready and often takes the story in directions not anticipated by the reader.

Adam Anker raises his daughter, Miriam, in silence and sidesteps questions she has about her mother and her family’s history. As a single father, Adam raises his daughter as he was raised by his mother. Adam has many of the same questions about his family’s history. A box of pictures and letters he inherited from his mother and the fact that he does not share the same last name as his biological father are a catalyst for his curiosity. The death of Miriam, on the same day as Adam finds a potential link to information about his past, leads to a series of discoveries that change Adam’s life.

The title of the book in Swedish was “The Consequences of Silence” and it fits the themes in this book well. I listened to the book and unfortunately this Recorded Books production was not well produced. The sound quality was not even and the female narrator’s voice (Rachel Botchan) did not fit the character. Although these issues detracted from the story, I still enjoyed listening and recommend the book. ~Enjoy~ --Kara

From ICPL Staff Picks Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sonata for Miriam.