Stephanie's Reviews > The House of Shattered Wings

The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard

bookshelves: f-sf-for-adults

OK, so I read an early draft of this book a year or two ago and thought that it was awesome...but the final version is even So Much Better, which is saying a LOT!

I read this book from beginning to end on an overnight flight between the US and UK last night, with many, many distractions going on around me (i.e. I was traveling with my kids) - but I was absolutely gripped by this novel the whole way. It is such a beautiful, powerful, genuinely haunting fantasy. Set in a post-apocalyptic Paris ravaged by the 1914 war between the great magical houses (almost all run by fallen angels), the worldbuilding is rich and strange, creepy, fascinating and compelling. The different points of view - from Selene, a Fallen who runs what used to be the Great House of Morningstar (Lucifer) himself, to Philippe, a former Vietnamese Immortal who hates the Houses for their imperialism - are often in conflict but always empathetic. The magic feels deeply magical in all its different forms.

At the end of the novel, the main arc of the story was beautifully fulfilled, but there were definitely important questions left unanswered...so I am starting my personal countdown to Book 2. I can't wait to read more!

I really enjoyed Aliette de Bodard's earlier historical fantasy trilogy, but I think this marks a huge leap forward in her novels. This is definitely one of the best fantasy novels I've read in the last few years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Shattered Wings.

Finished Reading