Susanne's Reviews > Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders by Gyles Brandreth

Jul 22, 2010

bookshelves: read-2010
Read in July, 2010

I have read shamefully little of Oscar Wilde but every time I read a quote of his I always smile and promise myself to pick up The Picture of Dorian Gray and Three Stories or The Importance of Being Earnest very soon. Therefore I was of course intrigued when my friend handed me this book. Oscar Wilde as a detective? It turns out it works very well, it's a mystery somewhat in the style of Arthur Conan Doyle (who also shows up as a character in the book) but a bit less straightforward than the cases Sherlock Holmes solves. It wasn't until the very last chapters that I figured out who was the murderer and that is always a good sign. I also like how Oscar Wilde is portrayed in the book. He of course has his faults and vices but on the whole is it a very believable portrayal.

It took me long enough to finish this book but that is more my fault than the book's, I am most definitely looking forward to reading the next one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders.