Albert Myburgh's Reviews > Time and Time Again

Time and Time Again by Ben Elton

it was ok

I like Ben Elton and I really wanted to give this book 3 stars, but decided to be strong. 2 stars still mean 'it was ok' after all.
And that is exactly what it was: ok. Easy and quick to read I felt a little underwhelmed with it although I did learn a bit more about the events that led to the First World War which was interesting. Also, the few smart twists toward the end were quite entertaining, however that was about it.
The main character Hugh Stanton is nothing more than a hunky piece of cliched-tortured-soul-jock meat whose personality is as flat at the ending as it is at the start. The author's recreation of a prewar Europe was unconvincing and lacked the rich descriptiveness which could have given the setting a smacking of nostalgic revelry as Stephen King did for the early 60's in "11.22.63", Jack Finney for the late 19th century New York in "Time and Again", and Michael Bishop for the early Pleistocene Africa in "No Enemy but Time".
It feels like an entry-level time travelling novel which, although entertaining, is quite forgettable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time and Time Again.

December 10, 2014 – Started Reading