Heidi's Reviews > An Uncommon Blue

An Uncommon Blue by R.C. Hancock

Whew! I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this book up, but I got a lot more than I bargained for with this one. The story starts with a bang when Bruno gets 'painted' by a boy who claimed to want an autograph (Bruno is a very talented rugby player). This leads to his unexpectedly defending the boy from the poker (guard) who ends up getting killed in the process. The life that Bruno expected to have as one of the highly favored 'Blues' is destroyed and Bruno goes on the run. I think what I found especially interesting here is the shocking ways that Bruno is exposed to the prejudicial flaws in his country's culture.

Each person is born with a 'fire' and based on the color of his/her fire (blue, green, or red), they are placed in a caste, with Blue at the top, Green in the middle, and Red at the bottom. As Bruno faces the reality that his life is gone and seeks to find out what triggered the attack in the first place, he finds that people are people regardless of the color of their fire, and that some things are more important than others. I really liked the fact that Bruno's strength of character has obviously been developed by his parents and grandmother. So many YA books lack good adult role models that it's refreshing to find some. And it is due to that strong background that Bruno finds the will to survive and try to do the right thing, even in the face of death.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Bruno's conscience lead him down the road to some rather painful discoveries about his world and even about himself and those he cares about. The ending is a bit surprising (at least it was to me, although I suspect that many readers will expect it, but I did not). And I have a sneaking suspicion that Bruno's troubles are only going to get worse as he faces a life so utterly different than the one he had planned. An intriguing and thought-provoking book about the dangers of pride and prejudice in society. And just a down-right entertaining story all around. I look forward to reading future volumes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Uncommon Blue.

Started Reading