Megan (YABookers) 's Reviews > The Rise

The Rise by Julie Plec

did not like it
bookshelves: paranormal, netgalley, read-in-2015, reviewed, own

I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley.

The Original siblings have arrived in New Orleans and have been trying to fight to take the city. Werewolves and Witches are also fighting for the city for themselves. Vivianne is a witch and a werewolf but she has been raised a witch. She is betrothed to a werewolf to unite the two and she catches the attention of Klaus who plans to make her his own.

For those of you who don't know, The Originals were introduced in the popular tv show The Vampire Diaries and have recently got their own spin-off The Originals. The Originals are vampire, the first of their kind and the most powerful. They have landed in New Orleans in 1722 after having been chased by their father. I was a huge fan of the Originals, mainly because they are evil and they are powerful and they take what they want. They aren't good vampires, and they aren't romanticized. Which is why I have a problem with this book.

The whole story revolved around romance, and falling in love (quite instantly, I might add) and I just didn't like it. I felt like Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah weren't as evil as they could have been. I didn't want them to be likable but I wanted to have them be vampires, and act like vampires but I felt like that was shoved to the side and the romance was shoved in our faces.

I felt like the setting was not really well developed at all. It was taking place in 1722 but I never really got a sense of that. It just wasn't overly developed at all and there was so much more potential for that development. And the plot, what was the plot? I'm not really sure, just falling in love I guess? I was really looking forward to this because I love the past of the Original siblings but it just fell really short of my expectations.

Overall, not one I would recommend personally, unless you like romance and vampires.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise.

December 10, 2014 – Shelved
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 7, 2015 – Started Reading
March 7, 2015 –
0.0% "I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley. I really love the originals past so I hope I will enjoy this."
March 9, 2015 –