Kemper's Reviews > Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 by G. Willow Wilson

bookshelves: 2015, comics, superhero, marvel

Kamala Khan is just an average high school kid struggling with the classic teenage dilemma of trying to both fit in and be herself at the same time, and her Muslim faith is one of those things that sets her apart. She dreams of being a superhero as confident and cool as the Avenger she idolizes, Captain Marvel a/k/a Carol Danvers. However, after developing superpowers because she’s exposed to the Terrigen Mist* Kamala quickly learns that her life has gotten way more complicated.

* Look it up yourself, nerds!

This title has had a lot of attention in large part due to having a lead character who is a female Muslim teenager, but if that’s all the characterization that Kamala had it wouldn’t be much of a comic. What does make it shine is the solid writing that makes you care about Kamala. She’s a good kid who genuinely wants to do the right thing and help people, but like a certain Marvel webspinner with responsibility issues Kamala learns that being a superhero is a lot harder than it looks and doesn’t solve any of the other problems in her life. In fact, it usually makes thing a lot more difficult.

I particularly enjoyed some of the funnier elements like Kamala trying to adopt the old Ms. Marvel costume as well as the name and finding out that walking around in thigh high boots and a skimpy swimsuit just isn’t very comfortable or practical.

This is a great title that reminds me a lot of the early days of Marvel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1.

December 10, 2014 – Shelved
December 12, 2015 – Started Reading
December 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Babbs (new)

Babbs I almost picked this up a couple of days ago and should have. Once I finish working my way through Deadpool, this one's next! Thanks for the review!

Kemper Sirius Scientist wrote: "I almost picked this up a couple of days ago and should have. Once I finish working my way through Deadpool, this one's next! Thanks for the review!"

Hope you like it if you try it.

Bhanuj Ms. Marvel is amazing! What do you think of the artwork?

message 4: by Mohammed Abdi Osman (last edited Apr 05, 2016 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mohammed Abdi Osman Im reading this right now and its fun, good read because as you said in the final comments. It reminds me of early days of marval,specially when i back-read the classic early Spider man with the teenage Peter Parker. The freshness of rookie hero, his/her personal life.

Kemper Mohammed wrote: "It reminds me of early days of marval,specially when i back-read the classic early Spider man with the teenage Peter Parker. The freshness of rookie hero, his/her personal life.

That's exactly what I liked the most about it.

Ronyell Awesome review Kemper! I miss the early days of Marvel.