Chachic's Reviews > Honey, Baby, Sweetheart

Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti

bookshelves: best-of-2010

Originally posted here.

Based on the summary above, you'd think that this is just a contemporary YA novel with a love story. While the romance is a huge aspect of the novel, Honey, Baby, Sweetheart contains much more. This is a story about a teenage girl finding herself. She believes she's in love with a bad boy when in fact, she's more in love with the idea of falling in love. I could totally relate to Ruby even though she's known as The Quiet Girl and I've never been the shy type. In fact, I'm the opposite because I'm outgoing and really talkative. But Ruby's experiences in this book are universal. I also enjoyed reading about the secondary characters. Ruby's relationship with her librarian mother is pretty interesting and I like her closeness to her offbeat brother. The Casserole Queens, the book club for old people that Ruby's mother handles, also has a fascinating set of members. Each geriatric person has a unique personality and they're all so quirky. From time to time, they also spout out some sort of wisdom, probably the kind that comes with old age. The road trip orchestrated by the Casserole Queens is one of the highlights of the book. Old people rock!

There are so many good lines in this book, I wanted to pause every time I found one so I could mark it. Good thing Goodreads has a feature where you can add your favorite quotes in a book. Here's one of my favorites:

"A man's identity is complete through action, a woman's, when she has a man. Through him. We fall off our high heels into the narrow crevasse of what it means to be female. Let me tell you. You fall in love and you think you're finding yourself. But too often you're looking inside him for you, and that's a fact. There's only one place you can find yourself." She patted her chest.

This quote goes out to all my single girl friends out there! I know I keep saying this about well-written YA books that I discover nowadays but I really wish I could have read this when I was a teenager. It's a beautiful book that tackles a topic that probably every teenager has experienced - how you try to change yourself because of other people. I know I went through that phase. This doesn't mean that the book doesn't have its share of humor because it does. Ruby is pretty funny and I found myself chuckling in certain scenes of the book. Plus like I mentioned earlier, the book has a great set of characters. I even liked the guy who owns the whale van even though he had such a small role in the book! I highly recommend this one and I hope more people get to read it. This is the first Deb Caletti book that I've read but if her other books are as good as this, then I'm excited to read the rest of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honey, Baby, Sweetheart.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Deb Caletti
“We are all a volume on a shelf of a library, a story unto ourselves, never possibly described with one word or even very accurately with thousands. A person is never as quiet or unrestrained as they seem, or as bad or good, as vulnerable or as strong, as sweet or as fiesty; we are thickly layered, page upon lying page, behind simple covers. And love - it is not the book itself, but the binding. It can rip us apart or hold us together.”

Deb Caletti
“It made me wonder how many times we forgive just because we don't want to lose someone, even if they don't deserve our forgiveness.”

Deb Caletti
“If time heals all wounds, and a book can hold a person's entire life, then you can speed up the process with a pulp time warp.”

Deb Caletti
“Love can come when you're already who you are, when you're filled with you. Not when you look to someone else to fill the empty space.”

Deb Caletti
“A lady I will be, but a man's accessory, his handbag, no thank you. I will not be someone's ornament. I will not just be someone's honey, baby, sweetheart.”

Deb Caletti
“It occurred to me then that a lot of life was either about wanting and not having, or having and not wanting.”

Deb Caletti
“The magic of purpose and of love in its purest form. Not televison love, with its glare and hollow and sequined glint; not sex and allure, all high shoes and high drama, everything both too small and in too much excess, but just love. Love like rain, like the smell of a tangerine, like a surprise found in your pocket.”

July 21, 2010 – Shelved
October 14, 2010 – Started Reading
October 14, 2010 –
page 15
October 15, 2010 –
page 86
October 16, 2010 – Finished Reading
August 23, 2011 – Shelved as: best-of-2010

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth This - sounds good! And I always hated the title, so I've avoided it, but now I think I need to read it :)

Chachic Whenever I had to ask for this book in the bookstores, I'd get embarrassed by the title! When you read it, you'll understand why it was used but I think Deb Caletti could have gone with a better title. It really is a great book. :)