Paranormal Kiss's Reviews > Spark Rising

Spark Rising by Kate Corcino

Spark Rising is the first novel in the Progenitor Saga by Kate Corcino. Spark Rising is a skillfully written tale set in the future on a post-apocalyptic earth. New advance humans were created called, “Sparks”. These people have varying degrees of power and are able to control and manipulate, “Dust”, basically microscopic machine like beings that can create and affect energy in many different ways. The strongest Spark boys are trained and put to work powering the cities, which are controlled by Councils. Girls of great power, however, disappear.

Lena was hidden away as a child because she had great power and her parents wanted to protect her. After her father is murdered she takes off and makes a home for herself in the desert, outside the city. It’s there she meets Alex Reyes, a double Agent working for the council, when he tries to bring Lena in. This sets off a chain of events that drastically changes Lena’s life. I won’t go into specifics because that would give too much away and this is a story best discovered upon reading. Suffice to say that it’s a thrilling and interesting journey.

I really liked Spark Rising. The pacing is perfectly done. It’s steady, always moving and never boring. The story is unique and one that I really enjoyed learning about. There is quite a lot that happens over the course of the story and everything flows together seamlessly. The world-building is wonderfully done. I could imagine it and understand it. There are dark moments but they are balanced by moments of heart. It had emotion and depth and it felt believable. There is romance but it’s not the focus of the story. I liked the romance and enjoyed how it unfolded with the story.

The characters are nicely done. I liked Lena in particular. She’s powerful, independent, sarcastic and strong, with a heart of gold hidden under her tough exterior. At the same time she’s not too perfect. She’s a little bit dark and has a need for vengeance.

Spark Rising is a very compelling and engaging story, one that has a satisfactory ending but leaves you interested in more. I look forward to the next novel.

I would recommend Spark Rising to fans of post-apocalyptic dystopian novels.

*ARC (Advanced Review Copy) received from Xpresso Book Tours, via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark Rising.

December 9, 2014 – Shelved