Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > The Thief

liked it
bookshelves: buddy-read, fantastic-fantasy, ya
Recommended to Robin by: Kerry *Soulcaster*

Buddy read with some friends at Buddies Books and Baubles

I am a master of foolhardy plans, I thought. I have so much practice I consider them professional risks.

EVERYONE told me not to expect much from this book and to be patient. They said the beginning isn’t very good but the second half is pretty good and the next two books are amazing…so just hang in there. Well I found that to be true and false at the same time.

It is true the second half of this book is much more interesting, there is more going on action wise and the last 100 pages just fly by. But the first half isn’t that shabby either if you are paying attention. The only reason parts of it felt a little long are the backstories to the gods feathered in a little like info-dumping. They are interesting lore stories but it is unclear how they fit into the book until later and almost felt like filler while I was reading them. However with Gen the Master Thief there are clues to be found and double meanings to a few things that don’t become clear until the end of the book. I found it to be quite entertaining trying to figure out who/what Gen really is and what his true purpose was.

But even if you find the first half a little dull this is a short book at only about 215 pages so it really doesn’t take that long to go through and figuring out Gen’s story is totally worth it. He is a lot of fun to read as he is antagonizing his traveling companions.

I did guess quite a few things about Gen correctly, but I also guessed just as many wrong so there were still some surprises to be had and enough interest generated about the three kingdoms in the story that I’d be interested in continuing.

Even though this book is listed as MG/YA it didn’t really read that way and I hear the later books are more adult than this one. Overall a really quick fun read that had action, mystery, betrayal and a few unexpected surprises that made it all the more interesting to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

December 9, 2014 – Shelved
December 9, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 6, 2015 – Started Reading
July 6, 2015 –
27.0% "While we ate, I picked at the magus. I liked to watch him lose his temper and then regain it when he remembered that I was supposed to be beneath his contempt.\n \n I'm not certain what to think of our thief Gen yet. Seems like he is either a horrible thief or playing some game with his companions."
July 6, 2015 –
49.0% "“Gutter scum can’t fight its own battles,” he said. \n “No,” I said. “Gutter scum gets drafted into the infantry and fights for a worthless king, and hangers-on like you watch.”\n “Gen,” Sophos protested, “that’s treasonous.”\n “Do I care?” I said.\n “Surprised, Sophos?” Ambiades’s contempt made Sophos writhe. “His kind only ever serve themselves.”\n “Oh? And who else are you serving?"\n \n +5 points to Gen"
July 7, 2015 –
68.0% "“And Gen? I see you found a safe place to wait while we were busy.”\n I opened my mouth to point out that I didn’t have a sword to defend myself with, not that I wouldn’t have climbed the tree anyway, but instead I stared at him with my mouth hanging open like a horrified gargoyle. I pointed to his shirt. He lifted one hand, instinctively checking for a wound, before he realized. Hamiathes’s Gift was gone."
July 7, 2015 –
80.0% "“Surely I am a better mistress to serve?”\n \n “You are more beautiful, Your Majesty.” The queen smiled again before I finished. “But she is more kind.”\n \n burn"
July 8, 2015 – Shelved as: buddy-read
July 8, 2015 – Shelved as: fantastic-fantasy
July 8, 2015 – Shelved as: ya
July 8, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Sandra YAY! Soon onto The Queen of Attolia

Dull is progressively out of the equation.
Happy you liked it XD

Robin (Bridge Four) I'm excited 7/17 and we will start.

message 3: by Lolo (new)

Lolo I've read couple of reviews of The Thief but somehow dismissed it, reading this though it's definitely back on my radar. looking forward to see what you think of the rest of the series :)

Robin (Bridge Four) I've heard from reliable sources that the next 2 are awesome. If so it is well worth a short 3 star read to get to a few 5 star reads.

There is definitely a lot of potential Lola, so we will see soon.

mich I should go check out your buddy read thread -- I wanna see what some of your guesses were! :)

I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one! Yay!

Sandra mich wrote: "I should go check out your buddy read thread -- I wanna see what some of your guesses were! :)

I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one! Yay!"

Happy if you go pass by here, Mich.

Hehe, I am going to reread it again next week but, with my gold fish memory, I wouldn't be surprised of being surprised -that's me at 6:30AM, so eloquent - by its revelations again.

Robin (Bridge Four) mich wrote: "I should go check out your buddy read thread -- I wanna see what some of your guesses were! :)

I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one! Yay!"

You should totally check out the thread, we had a little fun with it. I think a few people have finished since it was so short.