Angie's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

bookshelves: historical-romance

Synopsis: "Sometimes love is an accident.

This time, it’s a strategy.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match..."

My Review: This was definitely a pleasantly surprising book. I did like the novella The Governess Affair and downloaded this one as well. The characters were strong and I enjoyed the twists throughout the story, several of them you just don't expect at all. The story did drag from time to time but it was interesting enough to keep me turning the pages to find out what new twist would happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

December 9, 2014 – Shelved