Nicole Hewitt's Reviews > Mad World

Mad World by Kate L. Mary

Dec 09, 2014

bookshelves: fiction-addiction-read

This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This series is so darn good! Honestly, if you’re a fan of zombie books (and you’re 18+ – the sex in these books isn’t terribly explicit, but it’s definitely there), then you should be reading this series. The whole series is a rollercoaster ride, full of gritty, non-stop action and intense emotion. I don’t want to give much away, so I’m actually not going to talk to much about plot (though the plot is exciting!). Instead, I’ll focus on why I love this book (and the others in the series).

What I LOVED:

The characters.
These characters are real people who don’t always handle their new world with grace and dignity – they are fighting to survive, and sometimes that struggle gets the best of them. At the same time, throughout the book, we see how disaster brings out the best in some people – especially our main characters. We see this most in Axl, who comes into his own during this series and starts to realize that he’s not the trailer trash he’s always believed himself to be. That doesn’t mean that he’s perfect, though – he loses himself sometimes, and makes bad decisions in the face of desperation – but we see that, at his core, he’s a good man. It’s this journey that makes these characters so compelling. Who do you become when the world ends? Some people become more desperate and selfish (or just plain evil), while others step up and become more than they once were. People who we think might be “bad” (like Angus) prove themselves, while other people destroy those around them in order to better their own situation.

Desperation.
In this book, the characters all get pushed to desperation. Vivian and Hadley are desperate to escape a truly horrific situation, while Axl is desperate to rescue Vivian before something awful happens to her. The action in these books is unrelenting – not only do our group of survivors have to fight zombies, but they’re forced to contend with the evil that can be found in men. The characters are pushed to their limits – and beyond. This book will have your heart racing and your emotions running wild. The things that the characters face are often disturbing and horrible, but always exciting!

The negatives:

Axl’s voice.
It took me a little while to get used to Axl’s voice – he’s got sort of a redneck voice that took me some getting used to when the book was in his POV. But, that’s Axl, so it made sense. Still, it made it a little harder for me to get into the book at the very beginning.

Love these books! This ended with a little bit less of a cliff-hanger than the last two, but I’m still chomping at the bit to get to the next book in the series! I give it 4.5/5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mad World.

December 9, 2014 – Shelved