Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)'s Reviews > Rainshadow Road

Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

I read this book back in the summer, and I never got around to writing the review. If I had a word to describe it, it's charming. At the same time, I can't say either Lucy or Sam would be anywhere near the top of my list of favorite Lisa Kleypas characters or couples. In fact, I did have minor issues with both of them. Sam more than Lucy.

Lucy made me want to yell at her a few times. I didn't get why she let Alice get away with so much, although LK did a good job of explaining the complexities of the sister relationship and the fact that Alice getting away was stuff was doing business as normal. But I wanted Lucy to get Alice told, and she didn't quite do that. Alice is a mega-brat and she needed someone to hold her accountable for the crap she'd done and instigated in her short life, and Lucy wasn't willing to do it. I think Lucy will appeal to a lot of readers, because she does seem like a normal kind of woman (despite her magical abilities).

Sam, well he just comes off as selfish in that he is living his life and that's his thing. His family dysfunction is there, but he was able to escape from it in a way that his other siblings couldn't, I don't think. He had the neighbors to hide out with and they were like grandparents, giving him a sense of safety. Although I read Dream Lake after this, I started to think of these books as a group. Sam lives in the shadow of Alex for me. Sam managed to avoid most of the angst that hit Alex full in the face, so it’s not wonder that Alex is a trainwreck.

I know that a big issue that I have with Sam is his attitudes towards sex and relationships, or lack thereof. He had no desire for a meaningful relationship. Yes, as the child of two alcoholics, that makes sense. I think if he had shown more depth, I could have connected to him and his reasons. I did like that he finally realized how much Lucy meant to him and his gesture was so sweet and authentic.

As far as Sam and Lucy's relationship, it was pleasant. I did believe they loved each other, but it's hard to get too involved in their relationship considering that I didn't have strong feelings for either of them.

I liked the magical elements. It was different and unique. It's subtly done but integral to the storyline. Kleypas doesn't really explain why Lucy has this ability and no one else in her family does. I don't know if it's because of the fact that Alice always got all the attention and this was a gift that belonged her her alone.

I've read all the books in this series, and this is my least favorite. I think it lacks the punch that later books have, and with Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, Holly pretty much cinches the story. Holly was in this book and I liked how Sam does connect with Holly, and that is an aspect of the story that gives Sam an added depth.

I have very high standards for Lisa Kleypas. She's been one of my favorite authors, well, for most of my life. I like her foray into something different, and she did it well, but this doesn't stand up well to her other books. Normally most of her heroes turn me into goo, but Sam left me very unmelted.

So, I gave this one 3.5/5.0 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainshadow Road.

July 21, 2010 – Shelved
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: set-in-washington-state
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: affair-turns-to-love
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite-or-autobuy-author
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: in-the-shadow-of-a-sibling

Story_girl Nice review Danielle...yes this is a rather "meh" read compared to Lisa Kleypas standards... and none of the subsequent books compare to the beauty of the first book in this series

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks, Story_girl. Meh is a good term. I actually quite liked Dream Lake and Crystal Cove. I still need to write reviews for those. Hopefully soon.

Story_girl I haven't read crystal cove yet...but glad you enjoyed Dream Lake a lot :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Story_girl wrote: "I haven't read crystal cove yet...but glad you enjoyed Dream Lake a lot :)"

It's worth a read, IMO.