Lisa Wolf's Reviews > The Perfect Mother

The Perfect Mother by Nina Darnton

liked it
bookshelves: crime, legal-thriller, mothers-and-daughters

For a legal thriller, The Perfect Mother is really lacking in suspense. As seen through the eyes of a well-off, self-satisfied "perfect" mother, this story of a daughter caught up in a criminal investigation while on her junior abroad is really every parent's worst nightmare: The seemingly ideal daughter is suddenly implicated in a murder, has turned cold and hostile, and seems to hate everything the parents stand for. The more Jennifer tries to help Emma, the more alienated she becomes, not just from Emma but from her entire family.

The writing style didn't particularly work for me. It was kind of clunky, and every once in a while there would be a random perspective shift for a line or two. Jennifer's inner drama wasn't all that interesting, and her self-deception wasn't taken far enough to actually yield any results. There's a half-baked, highly inappropriate kinda-romance that adds nothing to the story, and the big reveal at the end wasn't terribly shocking.

All in all, I'd say The Perfect Mother was an okay read -- I wasn't exactly bored, and I did want to know how it would end, but I'm not left with much of an impression at all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Mother.

December 8, 2014 – Started Reading