Katerina's Reviews > Ruin and Rising

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites

*5 “you might make me a better man” stars*
“I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until you have no shelter but mine.”

Agony. Pain. Tears. Heartbreak. Acceptance. This is the way the Grisha trilogy ends.

A masterpiece. A gem. Leigh Bardugo gave everything she had in this grand finale. I'm numb and empty inside. I want to sit in silence and contemplate what happened and figure out the reasons why. I came to the conclusion that things were meant to end this way from the start. A battle of wills, a battle between Light and Darkness, self-preservation and sacrifice, greed and kindness, brain and heart.
“I wanted to believe anything so that I wouldn’t have to face the future alone. The problem with wanting is that it makes us weak.”

After I finished Ruin and Rising, I faced the question how do I want to remember the Darkling . He was a twisted, brutal tyrant, I could not possibly deny it and he proved it time and time again, each crime worst than the previous. But he was more. I choose to remember the brilliant dark haired boy, blessed with too much power, burdened by eternity, feared by his own kind, facing the entire world alone and wishing to change things, to create a place for the Grisha and himself. He was misguided, controlled by his greed and desires but this boy still existed, buried under layers of darkness. I forgive him.
“In the end, maybe love just meant longing for something impossibly bright and forever out of reach.”

There are so many other characters I want to talk about, but first I have to (grudgingly) admit that Mal finally won my respect, even though he's still my least favorite character. He understood his mistakes and what was at stake and it gave him a new perspective. I loved Zoya so so much, and David and Genya and Harshaw, and I'm so proud of Nikolai, the arrogant, all-too-clever fox who brought hope and laughter even in the most desperate times.
“Na razrusha'ya. I am not ruined. E'ya razrushost. I am ruination.”

It was a fitting ending. Suitable I dare say, even though I hoped that some things would turn out differently. So many plot twists and deaths that created a knot in your chest, desparation that threatened to drown you, mythical creatures, fanatic monks, flying ships, Saints and Demons, and in the center of the world-changing events, two orphans from Keramzin. Who said that otkazat’sya aren't important?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruin and Rising.

Quotes Katerina Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“Why waste my anger on you when the fault is mine? I should have anticipated another betrayal from you, one more mad grasp at some kind of childish ideal. But I seem to be a victim of my own wishes where you are concerned.” His expression hardened. “What have you come here for, Alina?”

I answered him honestly. “I wanted to see you.”

I caught the briefest glimpse of surprise before his face shuttered again. “There are two thrones on that dais. You could see me any time you liked.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I saw the prince when I was in Os Alta,” said Ekaterina. “He’s not bad looking.”
“Not bad looking?” said another voice. “He’s damnably handsome.”
Luchenko scowled. “Since when—”
“Brave in battle, smart as a whip.” Now the voice seemed to be coming from above us. Luchenko craned his neck, peering into the trees. “An excellent dancer,” said the voice. “Oh, and an even better shot.”
“Who—” Luchenko never got to finish. A blast rang out, and a tiny black hole appeared between his eyes.
I gasped. “Imposs—”
“Don’t say it,” muttered Mal.”

Leigh Bardugo
“He leaned against the window, and the gilded frame came into sharp focus. “Do you think it would be any different with your tracker beside you? With that Lantsov pup?”
“Yes,” I said simply.
“Because you would be the strong one?”
“Because they’re better men than you.”
“You might make me a better man.”
“And you might make me a monster.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Aleksander," I whispered. A boy's name, given up. Almost forgotten.”

“Aleksander."

His eyes fluttered shut. "Don't let me be alone," he murmured. And then he was gone.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I hope you weren't looking to me to be the voice of reason. I keep to a strict diet of ill-advised enthusiasm and heartfelt regret.”

Leigh Bardugo
“In this moment he was just a boy -brilliant, blessed with too much power, burdened by eternity.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Zoya and I gaped at him. Then she scowled. "You know, if you turned a bit of that poetry on me, I might consider giving you a change."

"Who says I want one?"

"I want one!" called Harshaw.

Zoya blew a damp curl from her forehead. "Oncat as a better chance than you."

Harshaw held the little tabby above him. "Why, Oncat," he said. "You rogue.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I didn't have to stand here in the darkling arms. I could vanish from his grip, slide back into consciousness and the safety of a stone room hidden in the mountaintop. But I didn't want to go. Despite, everything, I wanted this whispered confidence.

"Yes." I breathed.”

Leigh Bardugo
“You never know," said Nikolai. "I've been busy. I might have some surprises in store for the Darkling yet."

"Please tell me you plan to dress up as a volcra and jump out of a cake."

"Well, now you've ruined the surprise.”

December 8, 2014 – Shelved
December 8, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 22, 2015 – Started Reading
June 22, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 22, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
June 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)

message 1: by NiCoLeTa E. (new) - added it

NiCoLeTa E. Τι όμορφη κριτική, Κατερινάκι μου!!!
Να πω την αλήθεια εγώ έχω παραμείνει ακόμα στο πρώτο μιας και ο Ψυχογιός δεν έχει πάρει την απόφαση ακόμα να εκδόσει τη συνέχεια... :(((

Katerina Ααα σ'ευχαριστώ πολύ!!! <3 <3
Κι εγώ είχα πει να περιμένω αλλά δεν κρατήθηκα,ήθελα να μάθω τη συνέχεια!Ποια είναι η γνώμη σου για τον Darkling;;

message 3: by NiCoLeTa E. (new) - added it

NiCoLeTa E. Γιατί το ρωτάς αυτό??? να ανησυχήσω???
Πάντως έχω πολύ καιρό που διάβασα το πρώτο και να σου θυμίσω ότι δεν έχω διαβάσει το 2 και το 3.... Όχι σπόιλερς, παρακαλώ...
Ο Ντάρκλιν δεν ήταν ο κακός της υπόθεσης??? Δεν είχε φιλήσει κάποια στιγμή την ηρωίδα????
Εγώ τον φίλο της αγαπούσα τρελά. Τον Μαλ.

Katerina χαχ σε ρωτάω γιατί είναι όντως ο κακός της υπόθεσης που είχε φιλήσει την Αλίνα και μας είχε ξεγελάσει όλους!Ένιωσα απίστευτα προδομένη τότε,αλλά μέχρι τέλους ήταν ο αγαπημένος μου χαρακτήρας!Ο Μαλ όπως είδες μόνο στο τρίτο βιβλίο μου άρεσε! :Ρ

message 5: by NiCoLeTa E. (new) - added it

NiCoLeTa E. Προς το παρόν δεν έχω άποψη ακόμα και δε πολυθυμάμαι λεπτομέρειες έπειτα από τόσο καιρό... Λίγα πράγματα... Τα βασικά... Και μένα με τραβάνε οι περίπλοκοι χαρακτήρες!!!!

Katerina Πιο περίπλοκος από τον Darkling δεν παίζει να υπάρχει!:Ρ άμα βρεις την ευκαιρία να διαβάσεις και τα επόμενα!! :))

message 7: by NiCoLeTa E. (new) - added it

NiCoLeTa E. Θα το κάνω εν καιρώ... Αφού δε βλέπω προκοπή, έχω αρχίσει να εγκαταλείπω τις ελπίδες μου ότι οι εκδοτικοί οίκοι στην Ελλάδα θα αξιωθούν να συνεχίσουν πολλές σειρές που έχουν αφήσει μισές οπότε με βλέπω σύντομα να απηυδώ και να τα πιάσω όλα στα αγγλικά....

Katerina Είναι τραγικό αυτό που κάνουν,ας μην τα αναλάμβαναν καθόλου!!Περιμένεις τόσο καιρό γιατί λες ε αφού έχω το πρώτο στα ελληνικά ας πάρω και τα υπόλοιπα στην ίδια γλώσσα,αλλά πού προκοπή!!

message 9: by NiCoLeTa E. (new) - added it

NiCoLeTa E. Έτσι ακριβώς... Μέχρι που αγανακτείς...

Aj the Ravenous Reader Brilliant review. I couldn't agree more! ;)

Katerina Thank you so much!!:) I really wish some things ended up differently but alas!,there's nothing we can do!

Diana Ouma Loved the review! Noticed we love all the same books! Cant wait for the next Leigh Bardugo series! So happy i don't have to give up this world for a while! :)

Katerina Thank you!!:) You're a Black Mage fan as well,right??I'm so looking forward to Six of Crows,those who have already read it praise it!!I love the grishaverse!

Diana Ouma Diana wrote: "Loved the review! Noticed we love all the same books! Cant wait for the next Leigh Bardugo series! So happy i don't have to give up this world for a while! :)"

Yes huge fan! I can't believe i didn't read it sooner. Me too! I was so sad to let go of the Grisha series! it has become one of my favorite novels of all time! Oh I'm excited now for Six of Crows! :D Are you into the Thrown of Glass series too? :)

Katerina I freaking love YA fantasy!!xD Mine as well,I love the Grisha and although Darkling was my favorite character,I understand why it ended this way.Yeeeees I adore Throne of Glass,it is one of my all time favorite series!!I'm still waiting for my Queen of Shadows copy to arrive,it physically hurts!!

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "I freaking love YA fantasy!!xD Mine as well,I love the Grisha and although Darkling was my favorite character,I understand why it ended this way.Yeeeees I adore Throne of Glass,it is one of my all ..."

Hehehe me too! YA Fantasy gets me every time ;) I loved the darkling throughout; he was just so misunderstood, dark, intelligent, lonely. I love him no matter what he did, simple as that. :D YEESSS another TOG fan! :D I actually DO have my copy, but i'm so scared of reading it with all my expectations! I think i am going crazy! the book is just staring and judging me right now :D

Katerina I completely agree with you,I really wish he would redeem himself,his actions were horrible but I understand why he did what he did.I also loved Nikolai!xD Ohh don't let it judge you,you're so lucky you have it!Who's your favorite ToG character?People are mad about the ships in the forth book but I heard the plot kicks ass!!

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "I completely agree with you,I really wish he would redeem himself,his actions were horrible but I understand why he did what he did.I also loved Nikolai!xD Ohh don't let it judge you,you're so luck..."

I know right? I really wanted a serial novel about the Darkling, he deserved his own story! Felt like we just scratched the surface, you know? my favourite character would have to be Celeana even though she pissed me off sometimes and Manon in Heir of Fire. I honestly don't know who to ship, its such a struggle! I used to love Chaol but he became irritating and meek! don't know if i ship rowen or not, didn't know if there was chemistry despite their compatibility, you?

Katerina *sighs*Darkling is my greatest literature sin,a deep character who appeared as the villain but he was more.I can't help but think that maybe Alina would have brought the good in him,you know?That there was hope for him!I love Celaena but like you said she can piss me off!And Manon was sooo interesting!But my favorite is Dorian,and I know my ship was doomed since book 1 but I love him so much!He's grown up a lot and he will make a great king!Chaol well,I really liked him but I don't think he and Celaena made a great couple.I think I prefer Rowan,and in Assassin's Blade Sam was pefrect!Sarah knows how to write male characters!<3

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "*sighs*Darkling is my greatest literature sin,a deep character who appeared as the villain but he was more.I can't help but think that maybe Alina would have brought the good in him,you know?That t..."

hehehe completely agree with you! I still haven't met a character quite like him. It is such a shame! He was too complex and enigmatic to just be labeled as "villain", I think thats why so many people fell in love with his character even if we are supposed to hate him... Celaena, I don't know about her, in the first two books she was really immature and vain about certain issues. But in Heir of Fire, she made a complete transformation by the end, so i am excited to see how people reacted to the new "Celaena" :D have you got your copy yet? :D Began reading Queen of Shadows and I am shocked that there might be a new ship in the works... I don't know, don't want to say anything until you start reading it too!

Katerina I know the world domination plans etc make people who haven't read the books see him as the villain,but there is something about his need to fit in,to use any means necessary to create a better place for the Grisha,and the solitude he had to endure that makes him vulnerable and we loved this about him.I agree with you about Celaena,and after I read the Assassin's Blade and witnessed what she went through I softened towards her!No *sobs* I hope I'll have it by Friday,the wait is driving me crazy!I've heart about the new ship and I am openminded about it,is the book good so far?

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "I know the world domination plans etc make people who haven't read the books see him as the villain,but there is something about his need to fit in,to use any means necessary to create a better pla..."

I think what the author did right was instil such human characteristics and emotions that readers can't help but see themselves in the Darkling. Just the fact he was born to be 'the darkness' to Alina's light and the expectations and isolation/desolation that comes from being forced to be the bad guy. Ugh, I don't know, my adoration for the Darkling is deep! I'm happy i found someone who kind of understands that! :)
I can assure you that Celaena is much more badass in the newest one! Her intelligence and calculating nature sky rockets! She really is born to be a queen ;) I am only 15% in but i assure you, this will be and IS the best in the series so far.

Katerina I'm happy too,sometimes I thought that maybe it's not ok to love so much the "villain" of the story,but I kept thinking exactly what you said,plus his character proves that Leigh is very talented!I loved the contradiction between light and darkness,and he told Alina his name I became so emotional...
Ohh now I am even more intrigued!!:O :O I want to much to read her return and ascension to her rightful throne!I wish the King of Adarlan a very painful death!!

Diana Ouma I know right? Leigh might have created one of the greatest anti-hero in fantasy. Even months after reading the series, I find myself just thinking about him. When Alina said his name at the fire at the end.... I was ugly bawling :D

I just finished the novel! Its everything you expect and more! I am one very satisfied reader now :D somewhere along the lines, QoS transformed from YA fantasy to Epic Fantasy; and i LOVED IT!

Katerina I feel the same way,and his last words oh.my.god. I think I died a little,I was devastated!
EPIC fantasy???I'm a sucker for epic fantasy,you've no idea how desperate I am right now to read it,I'm still waiting for my copy!Why do bad things happen to good people?????

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "I feel the same way,and his last words oh.my.god. I think I died a little,I was devastated!

Me tooo! To be honest, I don't think Mal was an adequate enough equal for her! I did root for him, but, there wasn't a spark.... I can go on and on about it! :D

Yeah, I dont know what Maas did in the last few months ( maybe start a new diet, or each wholesome amounts of chocolate) but she stepped up her game! Urgh that is the problem with ordering books! They take soo long! I usually just read the novel from my kindle and if I like it enough, invest in a hard copy! I am not made out of money after all, as much as I would like too! But i will be watching out for your review and updates! I hope you liked it as much as I did! there have been a lot of mixed feelings :(

Katerina I only liked Mal in the third book but I can't say I'm crazy about him,Alina could have done better!How can you love Mal when there is Darkling and Nikolai??These two are amazing!! <3 Mal was the least interesting character!
I think there are mixed feelings because of the ship wars (I dare say it's Chaol's hardcore fans who didn't like it that much) and I trust you,I'm certain I will love it!Well before the release date I promised myself I would wait for my hard copy to arrive and I wouldn't cheat by reading the ebook but my patience is running thin!!

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "I only liked Mal in the third book but I can't say I'm crazy about him,Alina could have done better!How can you love Mal when there is Darkling and Nikolai??These two are amazing!! <3 Mal was the l..."

I understand why she loved Mal (childhood best friends, he protects her, he makes her feel normal)... but at the same time she shouldn't have settled! Nikolai was amazing! How could anyone have not fallen in love with him?!!!!
Hehe the ship wars and fandoms are always out to get you! ;) They say Maas ruined the character of Chaol, but honestly I feel as if his true colours were finally shown! :P HAHA i commend you for your patience! just stay away from spoilers!!! :D Have to go in semi-blind ;)

Katerina Mal didn't appreciate her powers,he didn't accept the person she became,he wanted his meek old friend!And it made me angry!But there's nothing I can do though to change it,right?
I agree with you about Chaol,I liked him at first but during the third book he just kept getting on my nerves!Besides,it's a 6 books series,you can't expect someone to show his true self from book 1!Lol I have read some spoilers but not huge ones!xD

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "Mal didn't appreciate her powers,he didn't accept the person she became,he wanted his meek old friend!And it made me angry!But there's nothing I can do though to change it,right?
I agree with you a..."

Completely agreee! Mal is basically Chaol! It sucks but both characters are too human and mundane :P Both became such a pain in the ass to the heroine honestly!

I can't believe we have one more book in the series! :( It feels like its ending too soon! Also, QoS has more kick ass WOMEN, which was awesome! have you read A Court of Thrones and Roses?! I really liked that one tooo! :D

Katerina Oh my God you are absolutely right,it never occured me before but there are many similarities between Chaol and Mal!!But there is still hope for Chaol to return to the person we met in the first book!
More kickass women?Besides Celaena and Manon?(I love Manon!)Yes I read it and loved it as well,just not as much as Throne of Glass!Tamlin is a sweetheart,and the story very captivating!!

Diana Ouma Katerina wrote: "Oh my God you are absolutely right,it never occured me before but there are many similarities between Chaol and Mal!!But there is still hope for Chaol to return to the person we met in the first bo..."

Yeah! Once you think about it you see so many similarities in both characters! But I believe Chaol can redeerm himself (... and kind of did in QoS!) Honestly hope he gets his own HEA! :)
Yes OMG! the amount of BADASS CHICKS in QoS should go down in the books! they are all amazing! and the fact that women respect, help and support each other made me love it even more!
I agreee! Court is just more romantic and lyrical and action packed! It's more about the romance than the actual plot at times! But i can't wait for the next one too!

Katerina It's good to know he can redeem himself,at first I really liked him!Mal on the other hand,he was better in the last book but still isn't the one I'd pick for Alina!
Girl power yeah!!I think I will sue the local bookstore for the delay,I need to smash something!The Lord is testing my patience!
about ACOTAR,I'm scared that there will be a love triangle in the next book and Tamlin doesn't deserve that :(

Katerina Ευχαριστώ πολύ Γκέλλυ μου!!Η αλήθεια είναι ότι μου διέλυσε λίγο την ψυχολογία αυτό το βιβλίο αλλά έτσι έπρεπε να τελειώσει!Βέβαια η τελευταία σκηνή με τον Ντάρκλινγκ αχχ δεν μπορώ που τη θυμάμαι...

Katerina Χμ από όλους τους αντρικούς χαρακτήρες ο Μαλ ήταν ο λιγότερο αγαπημένος μου (εδώ που τα λέμε δεν πιάνει μία μπροστά στον Νικολάι και τον Ντάρκλινγκ) αλλά ίσως για την Αλίνα να ήταν ο κατάλληλος!Όντως υπέροχη,και αυτό το μήνα βγαίνει το Six of Crows!!

Katerina Όχι ακριβώς,είναι μερικά χρόνια μετά στον ίδιο κόσμο με τους Γκρίσα!

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Great review, Katerina! I'm so happy you loved this series as well :)

Katerina Thank you Chantal!!^^I loved this series,but I love Six of Crows even more!;)

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Katerina wrote: "Thank you Chantal!!^^I loved this series,but I love Six of Crows even more!;)"

I'm going to start SoC on Thursday! Super excited :)

Katerina Aww that's so great!!Enjoy it honey!!^^

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne It's so strange reading Russian in this series knowing it's portrayed as some kind of fantastic and peculiar language in a fictional world. Lol. Great review, Kat! Unfortunately I'm not interested in finishing this series.

Vivian I love this too!

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, sweets!xo

Vivian "You might make me a better man." Swoon.....

message 45: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Cool review, Katerina ;)

Pearl Angeli Best series ever! :) And I love your review, Kat! So much that I miss all the characters in this series. T.T Indeed a masterpiece!

Katerina Pearl wrote: "Best series ever! :) And I love your review, Kat! So much that I miss all the characters in this series. T.T Indeed a masterpiece!"

Thank you Pearly!! <3 Have you read Six of Crows?There aren't many similarities but they do mention Nikolai!xD

Alejandro wrote: "Cool review, Katerina ;)"

Thank you dear Alejandro!!:)

Arianna wrote: "Awesome review, sweets!xo"

Thank you baby!! <3

Vivian wrote: ""You might make me a better man." Swoon....."

Swoon and cry at the same time!;p

Ana wrote: "Great review Kat! ;)"

Thank you sweetie!!xo xo

Anne (Anneshka) wrote: "It's so strange reading Russian in this series knowing it's portrayed as some kind of fantastic and peculiar language in a fictional world. Lol. Great review, Kat! Unfortunately I'm not interested ..."

Thank you Anne!!^^Sorry you don't wish to continue this series,but hey you loved Six of Crows so everything's fine!!xD

Laurie –A Court of Books– My god, reading your review brings back painful memories I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with yet :(

Katerina Laurie wrote: "My god, reading your review brings back painful memories I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with yet :("

Lol now I am the one with the painful memories :'( This book was really devastating...

message 50: by Shahad (new)

Shahad takleef very nice review !
this seems like something i may want to read
added the series on my TBR

« previous 1