Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus

Give Them Grace by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick

Dec 08, 2014

bookshelves: leisure, non-fic, nook, parenting, religious

Hunter got this book and thought it would be a good idea if we both read it, so that it wouldn't just be him telling me what it said. I was a bit scared because I don't often read books that affect my life so much, but I went into it hoping to have both an open mind and a critical eye. I knew I would agree with the basic theological assumptions the authors made, but I didn't just want to read this with an intention of blindly following everything they said.

I'm not going to summarize every point they make, but the basic idea is that Christian parenting should look different from other parenting, and that difference is the presence of grace in every facet of life. There are a few minor technical details I wasn't on board with (corporal punishment and your typical woman-as-temptress model of modesty), but overall they paint a great picture of what Gospel-centered parenting looks like. Elyse is really honest about the ways she failed to parent like this, which I appreciated.

Right now Sadie still doesn't require as much parenting as she does just basic needs (although she is less of a baby every day *sob*), so I think this will be a book I come back and refer to as she grows and her rebelliousness becomes more apparent.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give Them Grace.

December 8, 2014 – Started Reading