Bryce's Reviews > The Gifts of Imperfection

The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown

it was ok

I felt that the author's writing and insights were somewhat disjointed and scattered. The book didn't flow well from beginning to end and has a serious drop off in relevance in the final chapters. I did think a lot of the advice was truly useful and important, but this information was given in small snippets amongst a large amount of other information which was less useful and not very helpful.

It bothered me that throughout the book that the author kept talking about the years and years of qualitative research she had performed (the basis for all of her conclusions) and yet she does not include one single story, case study, interview, or even anecdote from all this research. Instead, only her personal stories serve to make her points. Sometimes they work and sometimes not so much. At each chapter I was hoping for more illustrative examples to help me understand the author's point.

The author references a lot of other researchers and their work. Their conclusions were some of the more insightful parts of the book.

I think that the book is just okay. It's a quick read that does a lot of meandering about while explaining some important topics. The advice given is generally good, but not entirely groundbreaking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gifts of Imperfection.

December 7, 2014 – Started Reading
December 7, 2014 – Shelved
December 7, 2014 –
page 25
December 31, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brennan I like your review. This book is a good example of how the same work can be received so differently by two people. The book was very meaningful to me - I really loved it. It hit me at just the right time, both professionally and personally. I loved the message of authenticity and wholehearted living, it is something I am striving for.